Thursday, April 27, 2006

Frakking x 2

Today, the Sci-Fi Channel announced its development plans for the coming year, and at the top of the list was this unexpected but interesting bit of news: they are developing a prequel spin-off series to Battlestar Galactica. Entitled "Caprica," the series is set over 50 years prior to Battlestar Galactica, taking place within the colonies and covering the creation of the first Cylons.

Here's another chance for Battlestar Galactica to stick it to Star Trek -- showing the creators of Voyager and Enterprise how spin-offs should be done. (Prequel spin-offs, in particular.)

No target date for this show to arrive on the air, but you know I'll be waiting.

4 comments:

Shocho said...

Oh boy, my favorite show is getting a prequel spinoff! Only one problem: I HATE prequel spinoffs. Star Wars prequels? Teh suck. Enterprise? Please. Not to mention the drain it will put on the original show's creators, who will leave that show and it will sink into oblivion.

Most importantly, the creators will be less bored and have more money. I guess I need to focus on the important things.

I'd rather they spent their time making sure that BG doesn't have any lame episodes next season.

Anonymous said...

that's a gutsy move. BSG is sooooo good, how could they possibly mess up a spin-off? :-P

I'm not too sure that a prequel is the best thing to do.... part of the allure of the show is the ongoing mysteries about the cylon motivations. I don't want them frakking that up by revealing things in one show or the other. will it be possible to keep them completely seperate? I guess I'll be watching both so it won't matter much...

will every episode start with "438,000 hours earlier..."?

the mole

GiromiDe said...

I'm not terribly thrilled about this for reasons The Mole stated. What about the prequel can't be realized in the current series?

Mkae said...

No, every episode will start with "43,784,000,000 survivors".

I'm really not sure about this. The description really didn't sound like the formula we currently are getting with BSG. It sounded more like a Dynasty with Cylons. We'll see, I guess, but I do agree with Shocho on the drain on resources.