Thursday, April 13, 2006

Finding Keepers

I saw this bumper sticker on a car as I was driving to work the other day:



From a distance, all you can see is the "I Love My Wife." I was a little puzzled, but I figured, hey, it makes at least as much sense as "My Kid's an Honor Student." You know, like Sting sang, if you love somebody, put a bumper sticker about it on your car. Or something like that.

Then I got closer, and saw the "Promise Keepers" part on the bottom of the bumper sticker in tiny letters. Suddenly, I thought: "Oh, okay now I guess it does make sense."

But then I started to think about it even more, and decided no, it doesn't really make sense at all. Am I supposed to think that all the other men I see driving around without these bumper stickers hate their wives? If this weren't there, would I assume he's abusive or something? Well, thank heavens I've got this helpful bumper sticker to clear that whole mess up.

That could have been embarrassing.

5 comments:

Kathy said...

Looks a lot like an I (heart) my (dog's head) bumper sticker, no?

Well, since Promise Keepers seems to regard wives as delightful, if troublesome, little pets who can speak (but who are less desireable when they do so) I hardly find that jive-ass bumper sticker very surprising.

Don't even get me started on the "Know Jesus, Know Peace; No Jesus, No Peace" crowd. Now THAT crap REALLY pisses me off.

Shocho said...

Maybe it's the fact that he's a Promise Keeper and loves his wife that makes it so unusual. :P

This is the same problem with the "Support Our Troops" stuff. Or even American Flags. If I don't have a yellow ribbon, then I hate our troops? If I don't have a flag, then I hate America? I hate this mentality. I love my wife, support our troops, and love America, even though my car has no magnets or bumper stickers that say so. Incredible, isn't it?

TheGirard said...

i think the wrong assumption is made here.

Just because they have a bumper sticker saying that they support our troops doesn't mean that if you don't have one then you don't support our troops. Them having a bumper sticker has nothing to do with you.

This could possibly be a thread jack.

Anonymous said...

Hey, in my world- anyone who is insecure enough to have to have a bumper sticker telling strangers how much they love their wife or are proud of their kid is only trying to convince THEMSELVES of something. Because if either of those were true, people would be able to see it in your actions, behavior, and how you relate to other people. All those bumper stickers make me wanna do is rear end you and see what kind of a person you really are.

But I'm a sick bastard that way. :P

GiromiDe said...

Here's an idea: I Hate My Wife & My Kids Are Idiots