Saturday, April 08, 2006

They Don't Make Them Like They Used To


Normally, one doesn't expect the things one finds in an antique store to be radioactive. So you can imagine my friend's surprise earlier this week when he came upon this lump of... whatever it is... in an antique shop. He had actually approached the shelf from the other side and picked the thing up before he saw the message. Yikes!

So, a few questions spring to mind:

Who just keeps a lump of radioactive rock around in their house?

Who then sells/gives that lump to an antique store?

What kind of antique store would buy something like that?

Will keeping it wrapped in Saran Wrap really keep you safe from it? I rather doubt that.

Or, I guess you could sum up all those questions as: WTF?

4 comments:

Major Rakal said...

Any idea what the description is on the tag on top? I can make out the word "Black" but the res is illegible. I'm curious as to why it would be radioactive.

My guess is that someone labelled it that way as a joke or a hoax. Frankly, I think the only radioactive item you might actually turn up in an antique shop would be an early piece of orange FiestaWare. No, I'm not kidding.

And to answer the only one of your questions that I can, if that rock really is radioactive, Saran Wrap ain't gonna do squat unless it's coated with a thick layer of lead foil. :-p

Mkae said...

And why didn't he buy this treasure?

My vote, of course, is that it's kryptonite and only harmful to Superman.

Anonymous said...

Well I'm the guy who found the rock- and to answer Major Rakal's question, it says "Black Uranium Ore" with a price of $35.

The irony being that about 5 booths away was a load of Civil Defense equipment.

Including a geiger counter. :P

And yes, I remember the orange Fiestaware lesson from my middle school science class as well!!

Anonymous said...

And no, my hand has not yet mutated all Hellboy style on me yet. :P