Friday, April 21, 2006

How Kiefer Spent His Summer

This evening, I went to see "The Sentinel." The critical reviews of the movie were not too flattering, but I kind of figured there had to be something to like there.

The logic to that conclusion went something like this: In all the trailers and commercials, Kiefer Sutherland looked to be playing a very Jack Bauer-like part. We know he didn't need the money, given that steady job. So one would figure that to use his summer hiatus from the show to play such a similar part, there must be something interesting or different about the story. Why else would he take the role?

Well, as it turns out, the answer was probably something like "he really wanted to be in a movie with Michael Douglas." Because the film itself was certainly nothing to get excited about.

For the most part, it would be hard to imagine a more thoroughly average movie that this. I never really did find it engaging. There weren't really any big, clever "sequences" in it. There were only one or two clever bits of dialogue, but I confess I'll be unlikely to remember them within a couple days. On the other hand, I didn't really find it "boring" either -- I only finally checked my watch about 10 minutes from the end. There weren't really any "groaner" moments, or anything flat out "bad."

If anything, the movie felt like it was lacking some pretty key explanations. The motivations of some of the characters were a little murky at times. The question of exactly why the president was being targeted for assassination was never addressed. Well, it was sort of roundabout-ly addressed in a sort of way that suggested we're supposed to think "the reason isn't really important; wackos go after the president all the time." Except that the course the film took really kind of made you want that answer by the end.

Also add in the phenomenally bad casting decision to make David Rasche, aka "Sledge Hammer!" of 1980s TV fame, the President of the United States. He wasn't bad or anything, but it was simply impossible to take him seriously. Ever. I had no idea he was in this movie, so when he first appeared on screen, I was totally unprepared. I could only think to myself: "Trust Me. I Know What I'm Doing."

So... basically average movie with a few points here and there to bring it down a notch farther. We're talking about a C- when all is said and done. Save yourself the time and just watch an episode of 24 at home instead.

1 comment:

DavĂ­d said...

I was hoping you would have seen Silent Hill this weekend. Even though video game to movie adaptations suck as a rule, I was sort of looking forward to this movie. Looks like the critics thing it is another failure.