Thursday, June 15, 2006

The Doctor is In(ept)

If you don't know who Uwe Boll is, there's no shame in that. In fact, congratulations! You have good taste in movies.

Dr. Uwe Boll (yes, the man has a doctorate, and pretty widly trumpets this fact) is the maker of the impossibly terrible movies "House of the Dead," "Alone in the Dark," and "BloodRayne." (Those links go to the films' Rotten Tomatoes ratings -- so bad, you have to click them to believe them.)

Well, the evil doctor is at it again, making another video-game-adapted-into-a-movie, Postal. And apparently, he's giving critics a chance to pummel him with more than words. Assuming his recent press release hasn't been hoaxed in some way, he's challenging film critics to boxing matches, to be filmed and possibly then included in the movie.

As the article I've linked to notes, the down side of accepting this offer is that you then run the risk of being in an Uwe Boll movie.

In closing, I suppose I must note that I myself have never seen one of his movies. I say this not in an attempt to be a film snob, but to acknowledge that I cannot vouch for how bad this man's movies are from personal experience. But I do have some friends who have seen a few of these movies, and they universally confirm that this guy would be the Ed Wood of the 21st century, except that his films are so bad that they can't even fall in the "so bad it's good" niche that made Wood famous.

3 comments:

Shocho said...

I sorta wanted to see BloodRayne, but then that passed.

Anonymous said...

I saw BloodRayne...it was fun. The chick gets naked too for a steamy sex scene. I think it's less than two hours long and thus worth the watch. Of course I borrwed it for free so the price was right too.

Trundling Grunt said...

I appreciated the links as it takes really bad films to produce reviews that good.