Sunday, June 11, 2006

The Re-Re-Return of the 4400

Summer is the time all the cable networks, secure in the knowledge that the "big boys" have gone into reruns for several months, bring on their original programming. Tonight, the third season of The 4400 began on USA.

I'm not sure what to make of this first new episode in nearly a year. I have to say, overall, that I was disappointed.

On the plus side, it would appear that one character who truly, majorly annoyed me is not going to be on the show anymore. (That would be Tom's son Kyle.) I was hoping that would be the case, since he was apparently heading off to prison at the conclusion of last season. But then, seeing as how the person he murdered appears to not actually be dead, I fear it's only a matter of time before he comes back to the show in all his monotone, can't-act glory.

I'm neutral on the loss of Lily. I'm very curious if her character being written out was a device conceived of entirely by the writers, or if for some reason the actress who played her didn't return for season three.

And yet, despite the loss of one major character and the creation of a new one ("adult Isabelle"), when the whole thing was over, I couldn't help but feel like nothing had really happened. Especially when you consider it was a two-hour episode. Just lots of re-stated stuff about Ryland and his Evil Plots to stop the 4400, crazy Weyoun-mad-scientist and his wacky ways, Sean still being a complete pushover with a phenomenal inability to make decisions for a person in a position of power, and a little shoe leather trying to stop a Problem of the Week.

So... not a great start, I guess I'm saying. But we have several more weeks to go, so we'll see if things pick up.

No comments: