Saturday, June 03, 2006

File Under Completely Random

Tonight, I was offered a free ticket to go to a roller derby. I've never been to one before. I suspect neither have most of you reading this. I've seen phony versions of them as portrayed in a TV show or movie or two, but I've never seen the real thing on television.

Briefly, I thought about accepting this ticket, as I thought it would make one of the more truly bizarre blog entries I'd ever posted. But within half a second, I realized that the concept just had no appeal to me whatsoever, and as much as I like you all, I wasn't ready to sacrifice that much of my time just to give you some possibly entertaining reading material.

But hey... I still got a blog entry out of it. Just one not nearly as entertaining as it might have been. Unless of course, one of you out there has been to a roller derby, and would care to tell us all about it.

4 comments:

Shocho said...

I have seen roller derby on television. They used to be shown in St. Louis, no way I could remember the name of the telecast or the teams. I'm pretty sure it was as fake as wrestling, since there was one main team that won most of the time and were the good gals that the other teams hated. Like the Federation on Star Trek.

Trundling Grunt said...

Ok, humour the furriner. What's a roller derby?

GiromiDe said...

I think Shocho and I recall the same program. It ran on what was to be the UPN station in Dallas/Ft. Worth. It was as fake as "professional wrestling," but it was far nastier in it fakeness. I believe it overlapped during the early seasons of Star Trek The Next Generation.

DrHeimlich said...

Oooo... you've not been exposed to this base aspect of American culture, grunt? Well... I don't know all of the "rules," but a roller derby is a sport in which women skate around a rink in circles. They're in two teams, and each team has one particular player who is the "scoring player." I don't really know how it works, but all the other team members are trying to ram the opposing team's players out of the way -- knocking them over if necessary -- to allow safe passage for their "scoring player" to get around the rink.

I'm sure wikipedia probably has the gory details.