Friday, June 09, 2006

So Play We All

Sadly, we Battlestar Galactica fans still have over four months to wait for the show's return. But a nice way to fill the gap is coming on Tuesday, June 20th: the second season soundtrack CD.

I don't have to tell fans that among the many great things about the show is the highly unconventional, but routinely incredible, musical score to each episode. There have already been two other soundtrack albums from the show, and I still play them very regularly in my car and on my MP3 player. I'm very much looking forward to the next installment.

And, of course, someone else out in our "blogging circle" would also like to recommend some "Galactica merchandise" to you.

4 comments:

Shocho said...

They put out a soundtrack to the CCG? Cool.

Mkae said...

I can think of two members in our blogging circle that might make that game recommendation. :)

Of course, a huge tip of the hat to Shocho, who did the lead design work on a game that I suck at but am enjoying more and more. And me, because I'm a whore.

DrHeimlich said...

Yes, indeed. I just didn't recall a particular, recent post of yours that I could link to where you whored it out like that. :-)

Though I have to take a moment to say that whatever other merits the game has, whoever had the idea to whack all the corners off the cards was a frakking retard.

1) Removing the corners makes the cards far harder to shuffle. Granted, most people use sleeves. But if you're NOT using sleeves, the best way to shuffle a deck cards with minimal damage is to gently lift two stacks, interlacing them AT THE CORNERS.

2) It eliminates a signifcant amount of real estate on the card in which information/images could have been placed.

3) When you fan a group of cards in your hand, what do you see? The TOP LEFT CORNER. But not with these cards. You get no help at all.

4) And here's the kicker -- it's NOT EVEN AN ACCURATE PORTRYAL of the show! We have seen characters play cards on Battlestar Galactica, and the playing cards in the universe of the show have SIX sides, not eight. Sure, they'll whack the corners off paper, photographs, TV screens, you name it. But they play "Full Colors" with HEXAGONAL cards.

Fortunately, there are many other reasons to recommend the game and excuse this particular bit of idiocy.

Kathy said...

3) When you fan a group of cards in your hand, what do you see?

All I want to know is, "If I fan, will I be disqualified?"

Doh!