Sunday, January 13, 2008

Chronicles Chronicle

It wasn't just the dwindling reserves of new television that made me check out tonight's premiere of "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles"; I'd been planning to at least sample the show since when I first heard about it months ago. That was even before I'd learned that Summer Glau or Firefly fame was in it, never mind the fact she was playing a Terminator. I think I was predisposed to "probably like it."

And that's almost exactly what I got, sampling this pilot episode. In the end, "I probably liked it."

On the plus side, this felt like a much more worthy continuation of the Terminator universe than the pretty lousy movie Terminator 3. I hated the fact that that movie wiped Sarah Connor out of the story with a few casual keystrokes (much like other great characters James Cameron created were wiped out to start Alien 3). It's strange to say this, since Arnold Schwarzenegger played the title character in the films, but I think the story needs Sarah Connor a whole lot more than it needs him.

John Connor felt "back" as well. The version of his character in the third film (through no particular fault of actor Nick Stahl) didn't feel much connected with the teenager we saw in Terminator 2. Sure, it was a decade on, and "kids grow up," but there seemed to be no connective tissue between the two versions at all. This John Connor in the television series felt like the right progression of the character from the second movie; he was written well.

The writing was also commendable in other ways. It "name-checked" some classic Terminator moments in fun ways ("Come with me if you want to live"), but more than that, the entire action vibe of the movies felt present too -- a pretty impressive feat for a show that in its entire run won't cost as much to make as that second movie did.

But all this continuity and familiarity had a slight cost, too. You could say that not a lot of new ground was covered here. This first episode felt very similar to the plot of the second movie. Two Terminators sent back to find John Connor -- one to eliminate, one to protect. Sarah argues that running isn't enough, they have to go after the creator of Skynet instead. They even make a stop back at Miles Dyson's house in their search. I guess you could say, "of course it was pretty good." It was a faithful homage to a good movie, and didn't stray far enough from that to risk being bad. It didn't really risk anything at all.

So we'll see. What this series does as it moves on to subsequent episodes will really tell the tale. They got a decent start, but I think it will need to carve out its own territory -- and quickly -- to really start to shine. The question is, did they get to finish enough episodes before the writers' strike to get to that point?

And will FOX, of the notoriously itchy trigger fingers, leave it on long enough for us to find out?

11 comments:

Sandy said...

These days I pretty much wait until the DVD set it out and watch series all at once. Seeing it in penny packets once a week is for the birds. Plus, it lets me avoid the flops as I can see all the reviews and such.

Cush1978 said...

I enjoyed it. I'll catch the next episode tonight. T2 was one of my favorite movies and I agree that this has more potential than T3. I don't think the casting was bad; "that chick from 300" makes a good Sarah Connor for sure. I guess we'll see what happens over the next few episodes to see if this show can break new ground.

BTW, John was supposed to be 8 (if you go with continuity) or 10 (if you go with the T2 script) in T2.

TheGirard said...

I enjoyed it. I was a little distraught because they did this big build up for this kick ass terminator killing gun and then...they leave it :(

Also, the Back to the Future III explanation of time travel was a little bit dubious.

Unknown said...

Jeez... I pretty much agree with every post so far (Well, except for sandy's… I don't have enough patience to wait for the DVDs, nor would I even think of skipping "flop" episodes in a series with a continuing story line.)

I probably liked it too. I felt like they spent that entire episode just getting the characters together and to 2007 with a 15 year-old John. Of course that's all you really can do with a pilot of a complex story so I'm hoping we get a better feel for the actual series tonight. Assuming Fox hasn't canceled it already.

I thought "that woman from 300" was excellent as Sarah. I thought John was a little too whiney... he seemed more kick-ass as a 10 year-old in T2 than as a 15 year-old. Of course that isn't the actor's fault.

I liked T3 ((runs away covering vitals from inevitable barrage of thrown T-X factory rejects)).

Sangediver said...

I have to agree, all in all I liked it, it has potential.

While I agree it was pretty much a rehash of T2, I feel that was almost necessary for those not fully up on the Terminator series.

I loved Summer Glau's as Cameron. Not quite as quirky as River Tam, but she makes a good ass-kicker.

Snarky, I agree I liked T3 too. Maybe not as much as the other movies, but it was fun.

Of course, since I happened to like it (along with a number of others) that means Fox will cancel it...

Jason said...

Regarding cancellations, I think we're all a little too Firefly-miffed to realize how unlikely it is. I haven't seen any ratings info, but this show has a big-movie connection and has received a ton of pub.

Compare that to Firefly, which was made by the creator of a cult hit (and Buffy < Terminator, in the minds of the average American) and which received little to no publicity that I can remember. Toss in the fact that it's one of the few new scripted shows on TV, and it'll probably get huge ratings.

DrHeimlich said...

Well, Jason, you were right about the movie connection leading to high ratings. That and the fact that so few shows are actually still around with new episodes now. The show pulled monster high ratings in its first episode.

Shocho said...

I liked it. My favorite line was, "Isotope? Is it nuclear?" "Not really." The second one was better. Them girlz iz purty. I have nothing relevant to contribute.

Unknown said...

Jason,

You're right... but I'd add that I'm not just Firefly-miffed (actually I'm Firefly-madashell, but I'll keep using miffed here) I'm (in order of importance) Firefly-miffed, Wonderfalls-miffed, TheTick-miffed, Brimstone-miffed, TruCalling-miffed, and GregTheBunny-miffed. I'm out off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are more. So while you are quite right, it isn't just a lone incident that causes my pessimism with Fox it is a long-standing pattern of behavior. I wish some other network would pick up shows I like. I don't know if I should hate Fox for killing all my favorite shows, or give them credit for at least putting them on the air at all.

Apologies if that was a thread-jacking.

Unknown said...

And I'll add that I did like last night's episode enough to keep watching (and not just for eye-candy sake Shocho :o)

Jason said...

Again, all those "miffed" series you mentioned probably wouldn't register anywhere on the radar of the average American. But practically everyone's heard of The Terminator.

Ooh, forgot the football lead-in. Dallas/NYG was the highest-rated playoff game in history or something.

And, in slightly good news, I read today that Fox is considering airing the cancelled eps of Wonderfalls to make up for the lack of scripted TV. Can't be a bad thing, and maybe it'll get a second life...