Thursday, January 24, 2008

A Trivial Complaint

Most of you readers will know that I regularly go to a "trivia night" at a local bar/restaurant every Thursday night. This is an event held live, there in the place -- not to be confused with the NTN trivia that you can find in a lot of places.

But this place actually has that running too. So, since the pace of the live game is typically very slow (you get "one song" -- something around 5 minutes -- to answer any given question), a lot of us at our table play the NTN game at the same time.

NTN always runs the same types of games at the same time every week. They haven't changed for years and years, I think. Until about a month or two ago. Now, smack in the middle of the time we're there is this hideously awful and unfun new game called "Blur." It's nothing but celebrity gossip trivia from earlier in the current week.

I don't give a rat's ass what "Li-Lo" or Britney has done this week. (But one or both of them are in there for some damn thing every week.) I don't know most of the answers. On those rare occasions I do know one of the answers, I feel a deep chasm of shame and self-loathing open up inside.

Sure, I could choose just not to play, but it's on every other TV in the joint. You can't help but look up and see it, especially after years of being conditioned to look up at the TVs to follow the NTN game.

Man, do I hate those guys at NTN now.

4 comments:

Jason said...

Don't worry -- real trivia starts two weeks from today!

Roland Deschain said...

There there...you know that sadly, I share your shame.

So much shame.

Unknown said...

I didn't pay attention... who won the "14-year-old" (aka Piss Boy) prize?

Sangediver said...

I agree, but since you and Roland play I feel I must play too, I can't let you catch my Players Plus points ;)

Snarky, Dr H. won. It was most definitely NOT me, so there...