Thursday, January 03, 2008

New Year's Resolutions

So, I started up my computer a couple days ago... you know, like you do. Only this time, when it booted up to the desktop, my monitor's resolution had been reset to 640 x 480, for some reason I didn't understand.

I hadn't installed any new software. There hadn't been a power outage while my computer was on. I hadn't had any trouble shutting down previously. I don't think there had been a Windows update. Anyway, I went in and changed my monitor resolution back to the higher setting I normally enjoy.

Only now, everything looks like crap. Fonts aren't drawing correctly. They're all jagged and blocky, with some lines thicker than others. It's all generally really annoying to read. I've tried several other monitor resolutions in the neighborhood of what I've become used to, but no joy.

I've hunted for new graphics drivers and tried installing them. The one that was supposed to work for my machine left everything completely screwed -- "Windows Safe Mode" screwed. So I then let Windows try to automatically search for the appropriate driver. It found something other than what I was using in the first place, and now at least I'm out of Safe Mode, but I'm right back to crappy jagged fonts.

It totally sucks, and I didn't even do anything.

Those of you with Macs, please stop sniggering right now. I can play tons of games without partitioning my hard drive and using Boot Camp.

Those of you with PCs.... HELP! Anyone?

However, on the flip side of the resolution spectrum, yesterday I learned that the 4:3 rear projection television I bought new several years back (not long before 16:9s completely took over the market) actually supports display resolutions up to 1080i on two of its sets of component video input jacks. Even then, these guys were thinking ahead. So, I went over and toggled some settings on my new Playstation 3, and voila! Rock Band now looks friggin' sweet, and I can actually enjoy those free Blu-ray discs that came with my system.

But why must I take the bad with the good here?

8 comments:

Sandy said...

Your graphics card is probably blown, Evan. You can try opening the case, carefully pulling it out, dust it off (especially the contacts) with a soft clean dry cloth (like an old t-shirt), and reseating it.

Graphics cards are really put through their paces these days especially with some games with heavy use of 3d live generation of heavy poly graphics. This results in a lot of heat and also short lifespan of the video card.

Oh, and if your video is built into your motherboard, you're f'ed. You can buy a new video card, disable the onboard card, and go that way. That's not a bad idea anyway, but buy from a store you can return to no questions asked, in case that doesn't fix the problem.

Anonymous said...

something similar happened when I got a new monitor it looked all crummy until I went to the monitor's site to download a compatible driver. it might be easier to just unplug/replug the monitor and you might get the whole "windows found a new thing" thing and it might automatically do it? but I would try the monitor driver instead of the graphics card driver. you might have a Y2K8 glitch?

oh and what Sony doesn't tell you about the PS3 is that you need the extra $100 hi-def cable to fully enjoy those graphics...

the mole

Jared said...

Post a screenshot if you can get one (with printscreen & paste it into paint & save the jpg), then post it or email it to me. If its a configuration problem, seeing what it looks like may help tell what's wrong.

Jared

Shocho said...

No, Evan is using the cables that came with the PS3 to get 1080. Which is amazing. I bought the cable for my new TV, and it cost $29. And it's worth it. It's awesome.

TheGirard said...

wow, that's not what I was expecting from the title. Well played.

As for computer issues, IT programmed everyone's computer to have the same desktop (the new company logo) and then locked us out from changing it. And yet they don't have enough time to program stuff to make us money...bleh.

Sangediver said...

While it could be the video card, it's also likely to be the memory. Strange as that sounds.

If you need to try other memory sticks, I know a guy ;)

Check this site out. I know it's a Win200 article, but might still help.

Brad said...

*snigger*

Cush1978 said...

As Shocho has observed, you can utilize up to 1080p with component cables. Also observed, you can get HDMI cables cheap. Check monoprice.com.

Restricting the display resolution is not a PS3 issue, it's a Blu-Ray AND HD-DVD movie playback security measure enforced with HDMI. Look up "image constraint token".

As for your problem Evan, my first thought is that it's not hardware-related. Hardware usually fails outright. I wouldn't rule it out though. If you can, swap monitors and/or graphics cards with another PC to narrow it down. In addition, run Start->Run->dxdiag to see if that provides any help under the "Display" tab.