Monday, April 14, 2008

Back in Action

Here I am, blogging from my new place! Fair warning, I'm probably going to be full of tales of and thoughts on moving for the next little while. You can help make this a not-boring experience by sharing any tales and thoughts of your own on the subject!

I'm still in the process of unpacking, of course, but it's going rather quickly. I think the unpacking goes a whole lot faster than the packing... which matches up with the fact that on the actual day of the move, the unloading goes much faster than the loading. "Un" is speedier.

And while there are still boxes to explore, I've gone through all the breakables. I think I can state with some confidence that there was only one casualty of the move. And there's a sad/funny story to go with it.

Many of you know I have a rather ponderous DVD collection. And while I've stopped adding to it at the ludicrous rate I did a few years ago, it still grew enough last year that I went out and bought this giant, six foot tall rack to hold some of it. It looked really nice, held nearly half the collection, and generally felt like a good purchase.

But the thing was rickety as hell from the day I put it together. Nothing I'd done wrong... it's just I think the thing was engineered to hold the weight of what you'd put on the shelves, barely, and nothing else. I remember pushing into place against the wall felt a bit suspect to me originally.

One of my friends took charge when we came to move this thing. She'd had one just like it, and it had unfortunately gotten destroyed in her last move. So here's the plan, she says. We have to tip it sideways, not on its front or back, and walk with it like this, watch that we support it there... and so on. And sure enough, she and I carried the thing all the way down from my third floor apartment and out to the rental truck without a scratch.

Then we stood the thing up while we stopped to play "Tetris" in the back of the truck, trying to figure out where to put that, a dresser, and a bookcase that were all down there waiting to get on the truck.

And while we're there in the truck planning, a gust of wind comes along and blows the giant DVD rack over. It didn't just break, it shattered, into about a dozen little pieces.

Sigh. Nobody's fault but ours. But now, if we should ever have to move a third rack like this one, we've added one more data point about how to successfully do so.

In the meantime, I'm gonna have to pick up another thing to hold my DVDs.

3 comments:

Roland Deschain said...

Sooo...

You could say it was all broken up about moving.

HA!

Whoa! Watch the head with the tomatoes there!

Ok, ok - I'm sorry. I need more sleep. :P

Anonymous said...

a friend of mine has a (very large) photo-album thing she stores her DVDs in, and she just boxed up the um, boxes, in the attic. while it's not quite as impulsive as having the boxes on a shelf (hmm, what to watch tonight?) it certainly takes up A LOT less space and doesn't look as "junky" as a rental-store-esque shelf...

oh and congrats on the new place!!!

the mole

Major Rakal said...

When my ex and I moved from Maine to New York, we had a moving company move our stuff. Having heard all kinds of horror stories about moving men from hell and the damage they can inflict on your worldly possessions, we were quite relieved to find the only casualty of our move to be a ripped ironing board cover. We did all the packing ourselves, which was probably a wise decision.

Of course, there was the small matter of the moving van driver getting lost in Ithaca; we finally tracked him down at the fire department headquarters, where the dispatcher was insisting that the address he quoted did not exist. (I suppose that's one of the hazards of being the first resident on a brand-new street.) But at least our stuff ws intact.