Thursday, April 17, 2008

A Qwest Doomed to Failure

So, as of this afternoon, I have television again. But oh.... what a long and sad story it is. (Hopefully interesting too, since I'm about to tell it.)

It begins about a month ago. I'd been eyeing a TiVo HD for some time. Knowing that I had a TV that was already HD capable, I figured on this plan: I'll buy the new TiVo with a couple weeks to go before the move. I'll need to call the cable company to bring out the Cable Cards required for it to decode the HD channels, but I'll have them do that at the new place -- one trip out, hook up new cable, install the Cards, easy!

So I actually bought the TiVo HD. And about two days later, I discovered something awful. There actually wasn't cable in the condo complex I was moving into!! They'd contracted with Qwest somehow, so only DirecTV is available here. Which the new TiVo HDs are completely incompatible with.

I had a few people offer to possibly buy that unusable TiVo off me, but fortunately, it wasn't too much of a hassle to get TiVo to refund my subscription and get the store to take the actual device back.

So now it seemed I'd need a DirecTV box. But hey... I still kinda wanted HD, so sign me up for that! An HD receiver with a built-in DirecTV brand DVR. And the rep I spoke to said, "sure, we can do that." He couldn't be helpful enough to schedule the installation of it on Monday when a guy was already here from Qwest putting in my DSL. No, that would be too convenient. But at least he did something.

I was contemplating having to take another day (or part day) off work to be here for the TV guy, but my mother kindly offered to come over and wait around for me. Aw.... thanks, Mom!

Well, I get a call from her today. The guy is here, and he is telling her HD is not available in my complex.

"No," I say, "the guy on the phone specifically checked and said it is."

"The installer says it's only in certain buildings."

"What? No one said anything about that."

(A few moments of grousing....) "Alright, fine," I say, "have him put a regular old DVR in, then."

"He doesn't have that with him on the truck."

"He's the TV guy? He must have all sorts of things on the truck!"

"Yeah, I thought so too," says Mom. "But no, only a couple basic boxes and the few things he's supposed to install."

(More grumbling....)

A short while later, I'm on the phone with the same rep I spoke to days ago. "You said there was HD."

"There is."

"The installer said there's not."

"I'm quite sure there is."

"Well, he took off and didn't even leave the box behind. And now I don't even have the DVR I wanted. AND, if this really can be fixed like you say, now I have to arrange for the third time for someone to be at my house to install what you should have done right the last two times."

(Long pause.)

"I'm going to forward you on up to this other person who will get in touch with you and work this out for you," he says.

This fabled other person never called me back. You can bet I'll be calling for another round of complaining tomorrow. Though sadly, I'm not expecting it will do any good. And sadder still, whether it does or not, what other option do I have? I'm only in this stupid situation precisely because I have no other choice. If I could have just stayed with the cable company and happily kept using my spiffy new TiVo HD, I would have.

So, one black mark against what has otherwise shaped up to be a fantastic new place to live. Of course, it's hitting me square in the television, so while this wouldn't bother most people much, it's been extra annoying to me...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm with you Dr. Every time I get anything installed or purchase anything over $100 it seems like I have a major hassle these days.

I swear they either:
a) have a maximum intelligence cap on all employees who will be dealing with the public (due to some corporate study that found more intelligent employees will tend to disrupt corporate culture somehow)

b) have procedures that are so prohibitively complex that Stephen Hawking couldn't successfully provide customer service

c) spend a grand total of 5 minutes training their reps before putting them on the phones (4 minutes of which is a remedial course in how to use the phone since none of them can seem to transfer a call without hanging up or mis-routing it)

or
d) run internal contests on who can screw the most customers. Bonus points if you can drive one insane without having them actually show up with a shotgun.

Seriously. Every dumbass I talk to on the phone tells me something different than the last one, and none of them make sense. They also all have that same helpful audible-shrug when you tell them that taking multiple days off work for their stupidity isn't an okay solution.

Jason said...

Once you get back on your feet, I've found the perfect job for you!

TMac said...

If you're with DirecTV you're complaining will get you something. I had an issue when they first hooked me up and then I had an issue when I got upgraded to HD. Both times I called and said I didn't like having an issue, both times I got some cool free stuff.

The first time I think I got free HBO for six months and a $10 credit on my bill for a year. The second time I got $100 of my purchase of NFL Ticket. Sure I didn't really want/need HBO but the $120 and $100 off of stuff I was going to buy anyway was great. Much better than cable.

DirecTv is better quality and much better service, you'll like them. Well you'll like them once you get it all worked out.

As to HD, all you need is a place to hook up the larger dish and to make sure you get get all five satellites. Both my dishes pointed in the same direction, I can't see why you can't get HD.

You could have an issue with HD local channels though. Certain parts of the country can't get them.

DrHeimlich said...

Jason -- that does seem right up my alley, doesn't it? :-)