Friday, April 11, 2008

Six of One

I found this week's Battlestar Galactica a lot better than last week's opener. Things didn't move so far "plot wise," but I found that to be a good thing. The show had more room to breathe and explore those character moments that I'd felt were missing last time. And it served up a bunch of good ones.

The confrontation between Roslin and Adama about each fearing to be alone was incredibly strong, almost shocking, and had a hell of bang for the ending with Roslin breaking down as she found her hair falling out.

The full military send-off for Lee as he officially left pilot duty was also moving. It was clear what the moment meant to his character, and equally clear how much wasn't said (and maybe wasn't needed to be said) between he and Dualla.

The new dimension of Baltar's neurosis, of seeing himself, was fascinating. Right on the heels of him finally having one altruistic moment last week, he now has arguably his most narcissitic moment ever as he literally flatters himself. Great acting by James Callis, too.

I found the material on the Cylon baseship less compelling, but it felt like necessary pipe to lay for future stories, so I don't really mind it. Plus, I always enjoy when they bring Dean Stockwell back on the show.

Really, the only scene that fell totally flat for me was the meeting between Lee and Starbuck in her cell. I was on board with the whole Lee/Starbuck will-they/won't-they story last season, but now I think to me it had less to do with them than it did poor Dualla and Anders, getting completely frakked in the middle of it. I'm fine with the characters of Lee and Kara separately... but I think I'm glad he's off to work in the government and she's off on an expedition that could keep her separated from him for a while.

A small mark against an otherwise very enjoyable episode.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

during the "seduction" of Baltar and Tory (which was cleverly dual-sided as they both had agendas) we were looking for the red-glowing-pulsing-spine that they showed Boomer had before. they never showed Tory's back, but clearly Baltar didn't have it. and I thought it was very smooth of him to turn the whole "crying" thing into a compliment. he's a playa! that's two in a row for him, will he get someone next week for the Turkey? (or Hat Trick or Triple Double or whatever fun Three-pete term you want to use...)

the mole