Sunday, April 06, 2008

Cycle Power

Courtesy of regular reader "FKL" is this fan-recreated version of the light cycle sequence from Tron, done with cardboard.

It takes some crazy levels of love and dedication to put something like this together. And you know, for the right thing, I can mostly understand that. But for Tron?

Man, I remember thinking Tron was the coolest thing imaginable when I first saw it. (Which wasn't in the original theatrical run, but was only a year or two later, on home video.) But the last time I watched it (a few years ago), I could barely make it through without falling asleep.

Tron gave us super-awesome video games for the time (that frankly aren't half bad even today, in terms of fun), and a handful of super-geeky quotes you can whip out every now and then ("end of line," "yesyesyes"). Too bad there wasn't an entertaining or halfway coherent movie to go with the "holy crap, how are they doing this?!" feeling the visual effects triggered at the time.

4 comments:

Roland Deschain said...

Ok, I love Tron. Always have. While the story may be a bit thin, I still enjoy it for the FX movie that it is (for its time anyway!)

I am NOT however, liking it enough to do something like this project. That's just...scary. :P

But it also reinforces one thing in my mind. When my computer pisses me off and I kick it - it brings a smile to my face to think of all these little program style people wondering where the earthquakes and death are coming from. >:)

But that's just me.

Jason said...

Kingdom Hearts II had a Tron level, and they even had Boxleitner providing the voice. I uber-geeked out when I heard him.

Anonymous said...

I, too, got all giddy about the Tron stuff in KH2. esp when the main characters got zapped and all Tron-suited. and major props to Boxleitner for doing the small but important role!

I wish I had the sort of free time to do cool projects like recreating movie scenes. I probably would have used Lego bricks :)

the mole

Sangediver said...

I'll admit Tron is easily on my top 20 list.

While I'm not sure who has that kind of time, but I bow down to their geekiness!