Sunday, July 23, 2006

Back to the Drawing Board

This afternoon, I completed a movie trifecta for the weekend by going to see the new animated film Monster House. I wasn't exactly dying to see this movie, but a few little things pushed me into going.

For one, it had been getting some pretty enthusiastic reviews. Many critics were calling this the best animated film so far this year. Those of you who recall my love of Over the Hedge might thus understand that I figured even if it wasn't quite that good, it would still be enjoyable.

Secondly, it was on the screen with the digital projection. And in 3D. The "RealD" system (used most often in 3D Imax films) is pretty amazing to see. Very much worth trying, if you never have. It's not enough to take a terrible movie and make it good, but it can take a decent movie and really put it over the top.

Unfortunately, in my movie trifecta, I did not save the best for last. The best kids' movies do a fairly good job of aiming some bits at the adults in the audience. This one fell pretty flat in that department.

The story wasn't particularly clever or novel. There were perhaps one or two moments that were neat in that they felt like if taken just a few notches in another direction, could have fit perfectly into a true, traditional horror movie. But one or two moments don't usually make a whole movie.

The animation of the house itself was pretty incredible, but again, that's not enough to save the movie (even if it's the title "character").

All told, I give the movie a C+. Actually, it probably deserves a C-. I'm probably being generous for all the fun 3D sight gags flying at me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What I the only one hoping we'd eventually see "Z" naked or at lease in bra and panties?

- Enrique