Sunday, July 16, 2006

Dislodging Food for Over 30 Years

If you're a fan of Heimlich Maneuvers, then you ought to check out VH1's latest ode to nostalgia and pop culture, I Love the 70s, Volume II. I mean the actual Heimlich Maneuver.

Apparently, there was so little going on in the way of movies, television shows, newsworthy events, and childrens' toys in the year 1974 that the folks at VH1 who put these shows together decided that covering the Heimlich Maneuver would be a good way to fill the time. (For you Eddie Izzard fans, that's: "A fist! A hand! Hoo-cha, hoo-cha, hoo-cha... lobster.")

There's a reason VH1 got this whole thing started with I Love the 80s. It's simply the only one that makes sense. As was the case with I Love the 70s the first time around, half their regular "celebrity commentators" were either not alive, or not old enough to remember, any of the things being covered on the show. And when they did I Love the 90s, it was too soon to look back on any of it. (It had only been 5 years since 1999 at the time.) In both cases, the whole nostalgia factor was pretty well shot.

But then, what were they supposed to do when their first installment of I Love the 80s drew what were probably the highest ratings their network had ever received? (Besides rerun it a billion times. Which they do.) Franchise, baby!

6 comments:

Shocho said...

But there are more of Us who remember the 70s than there are of You who remember the 80s. Agreed that the commentators of 70s Vol. II have no idea what they're talking about, but the content is still good for those of us who were There. We watched four episodes last night.

TheGirard said...

It's not really a maneuver yet, just more of a gesture.

Jason said...

I can already see VH1's upcoming programming schedule:

January 1, 2010
12:00 am
"I love the '00s"

Anonymous said...

I saw that episode and totally thought of this blog! it was a little extra funnyness for me :)

they've done the I Love Toys spin off, too. and Best Week Ever is their weekly I Love Last Week type show.

future prediction? the "I Love Channel"?
(I'd watch!!)

the mole

DrHeimlich said...

Shocho -- Just to clarify: I don't doubt that one CAN be nostalgic about the 70s. Just not people of the age of most of the "I Love the" commentators.

Shocho said...

Agreed! They need older fuckers like me to talk about the 70s. Mo Rocca, born 1969. Rachael Harris, 1968. Michael Ian Black, 1971. WTF?