Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Search Tension

If you ask someone what they do for a living, and they say "I'm a masseuse," that's not really a strange reply. Not the most common of occupations, but not at all strange. But ask that masseuse where they work, and get the answer "Google"?

Now we're in some strange territory.

Yes, Google employs a masseuse at their offices in Seattle. I have no idea if it's just a walk-in thing, if you need an appointment, how frequently you can go... I just know it's weird. And, I suppose, kinda cool. But mostly weird.

Actually, it's not the only thing really weird about the article I referenced. Check out this excerpt from the piece, an interview with an employee:
"Most of what we do, you can point to and say, 'That's really Googley,' " Wilson said.

And what is that, exactly?

"To me, Googley products are things that make people think of Google..."
Google products are things that make people think of Google? Does anyone think of Google in any way other than its search engine? I know I don't.

Sorry, but a "Googley product" involves eyeballs of some kind. End of story. Maybe they could get me to associate Google with free massage, if they could figure out how to export that bizarre job benefit to the masses.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

google is sooo on the verge of becoming the "kleenex" of internet searches. nobody says "adhesive bandage" they always say "band-aid" and xerox = copy. people still say "search" instead of "google" but the google people want so badly for the word google to replace the word search... but I'm not going to be the one to do it :)

the mole

oh and because you didn't blog about it, just a reminder that Animaniacs DVD was released today!
helloooooo nurse!

Anonymous said...

I work for the Quebec government and our office has a masseuse come in about once a week.
Pretty cool stuff, if you ask me.
(And yeah, we pay for it out of our own pocket, but still -- I'm pretty sure we're the only government office in the entire country with this kind of arrangement).

FKL

TheGirard said...

I work for Avnet and we have a massage therapist come in about once a week as well. During year end (last week of July) they brought in another 5 and had them available all day long.

DavĂ­d said...

Maybe it is just because I do more computer stuff and it seems like half the people want to work for Google, but I think of Google as more than search - maps, mail, and froogle are all frequently used google products for me (and yes, they have the same Google "feel" as the search so I guess they make me think of Google).

That said, when I want to look something up, I generally just say "I'll google that."

GiromiDe said...

Google is very close to being a verb. It's right there with TiVo and Kleenex. I hope they don't get all snooty and huffy and try to bash metonymy as Adobe has done with Photoshop.