Monday, July 17, 2006

It Sounds More Important If You Call It a World Series

So, as long as I'm on the subject of "cotton candy TV" from VH1 (that is, sweet and sugary and fun, and completely devoid of nourishment), then I might as well mention that I've been sucked into the World Series of Pop Culture. I didn't mean to be, but between a friend recommending it, and having it crammed down my throat in Entertainment Weekly magazine (a partner in producing the show), I couldn't stay away.

If you can get by the annoying, Who-Wants-To-Be-A-Millionaire-esque slow pacing of the question asking, it can be pretty entertaining. (Easy... just watch it on TiVo and skip the boring parts!) The contestants usually have a fun sense of humor, and the host gets in an occasional dry bon mot of his own.

The questions themselves are hit and miss. If you're a pop culture junkie like me, then you'll find that in any given category with which you have even passing familiarity, you'll be able to get at least 5 out of 6 questions right. (Or often, run the category.) But every now and then, the category will simply be out of your area, and you'll be out of your depth -- lucky to pull out one or two answers.

It's not for everyone, but I think some of my regular readers would find it right up their alley.

I'm now done pimping for VH1 for a while.

1 comment:

TheGirard said...

holy crap I've been watching this too. The hodge podge team is very very good (the ones that one individually and didn't meet prior to being a team).

I can't believe the hick chick got questions with the answer of dukes of hazzard.

I was able to name 10 of nick cage's movies during the tie breaker.