Friday, July 07, 2006

This Film is Rated ARRRRR!

Ahoy, mateys! Tonight, I went to see the new Pirates of the Carribean film. (For those of you native to Denver, I saw it at the Belmarrr theater.)

I know many people who are big fans of the first film. While I myself didn't hold it in such high regarrrd, I enjoyed it well enough. By this, I mean to say that I didn't hold high expectations for the sequel; I was simply looking to once again have a pretty good time. And I'd say that's just what I got, for the most parrrt.

Some of "Dead Man's Chest" is truly terrific -- specifically, the sections which are light-hearrrted. The first 45 minutes of the film are straight-up fun, and really gave me hopes for liking this film better than the first. But then there was another 45 minutes or so of rather boring stuff, trying to play at emotions too serious for a film of this nature. (Though I did enjoy seeing a version of Perudo being portrayed on screen.)

Then came a half hour of action and humor even better than the opening chunk, and I thought "well, at least they're going to finish up strong here!" Unfortunately, the movie lost its fun factor again, despite going on for another half hour before reaching its conclusion. All the good stuff had once again been marrrrred.

At two-and-a-half hours total, the movie was farrr too long. But even trimmed of 30 minutes or so, there would still be a fair chunk of the movie that forgets what it's supposed to be: fun and adventure.

Still, what's good in the movie is really great. So I give it two-and-a-half starrrs (out of four). Or, in my usual manner of rating these things, a B-. (Which is better than the high C's!)

Oh, and I should also add for anyone seeing it that there is something after the end credits. I don't know that it's as "worth staying for" as, say, what waits at the end of the third X-Men movie... but those of you who want to "see it all" are hereby advised to wait it out.

2 comments:

TheGirard said...

I heard that it was pretty dark for a disney film. they had crows actually eating human flesh

DavĂ­d said...

I still had fun at this movie, but it was just convoluted and unevenly paced. For those that hadn't seen (or didn't have a good memory of) the first movie, the motivations of so many characters were opaque. And you are completely right abou t the alternation between fun and interesting scenes and plodding ones.

It's a shame as the first movie was (surprisingly for a Disney/Bruckheimer collaboration) really good.

While I'd give the first an A-/B+ on your scale, I don't think I can give this one more than a C+.