Sunday, July 02, 2006

A Warrior's Game

Those of you into board games might have heard the buzz around the relatively new game Caylus. I got word that it was "the new Puerto Rico" a few months ago (albeit from a different designer), read up a little more about it, and decided to order a copy.

I've played it a few times now, and I give it the thumbs up. I wouldn't really compare it to Puerto Rico, though. The only real similarity is that there are a limited number of "things" that can be done each turn, each by only one player out of the group. It's possible that players in front of you will choose the thing you want and you'll get shut out. But really, this is a superficial connection to Puerto Rico, as it actually plays out. At least, I think so.

There are perhaps a handful of other games one could try to compare to Caylus. For example, it has maybe a little in common with The Princes of Florence (in terms of figuring out how to gather the right resources to build the things you want to build, when you're in direct competition with other players to actually gather said resources). But the truth is, I found it largely to be its own entity -- and much to its credit.

At an average two-hour game length (though it will depend on who you play with), it takes a little bit more time than some of the favorite "deep strategy" German board games. But it's worth the time. I'm looking forward to the next time I get to play it.

But that name. Caylus? Granted, the spelling is totally different, but every time I mention it, visions of the Klingon messiah pop into my head. (But after all, Kahless is "Unforgettable.")

2 comments:

TheGirard said...

I miss playing Puerto Rico

DavĂ­d said...

I too always think of the great klingon warrior when the game comes up. I played it once with my friends. It seems enjoyable, but we were mostly just trying to get the rules down and didn't have any time for strategy. I'd like to play it again knowing how the game works so I can actually try different strategies.