Monday, July 24, 2006

Modern Masterpiece

This notice from my apartment complex was hanging from my doorknob on Saturday. The intent is pretty clear, of course. But the choice of words is pretty humorous.


They're going to start painting my door on Monday, and they should finish by Friday? Five days just to paint my door? And they're not even sure that's enough time! They should finish by Friday, but they're leaving room for the possibility that it might take longer.

What size paintbrush are they planning on using? If they're being that meticulous, is my doormat really in such danger that I need to remove it? Or are they somehow simultaneously tedious and sloppy?

Are they doing something special on the door I'm not aware of? Even if they are, come on... Bob Ross could paint the entire damn countryside in 30 minutes.

Years of dealing with ambiguity (and perceived ambiguity) on TCG cards have corrupted my brain.

11 comments:

TheGirard said...

What other decorations do you have outside that need to be removed?

Kathy said...

Hey, they could be dry-brushing and doing a bunch of layers. I mean, didn't you ever paint miniatures? I made some mean lookin' trolls for Blood Bowl in my day.

/is sure she could make your door look sweeter than your management co.
//not sure why I'm using Fark slashes
///slashies!

Tom said...

"Years of dealing with ambiguity (and perceived ambiguity) on TCG cards have corrupted my brain."

You need a chuckektomy.

Of course, I am from the school of "what else could it mean?" which is decidedly low rent real estate.

Major Rakal said...

"Years of dealing with ambiguity (and perceived ambiguity) on TCG cards have corrupted my brain."

None of us will ever be the same again. It's like being involved in the technical side of theater -- once you have built and painted sets, made props or costumes, or done lighting, you can never watch a live theater production again without picking those aspects apart.

Shocho said...

Oh Tom, that's what Bill used to say all the time. You may want to rethink that posture.

Why are your door mats on your doors? They're supposed to be on the ground.

Brad said...

corrupted!!!

Maybe they are airbrushing your door with lots of layers ofdifferent color and pinstrips like a chopper! that could take days because of the time for each layer to dry.

GiromiDe said...

They should have used parenthetical text to further explain the extended delay. Of course, then everyone will think that text is actually the exception rather than just an explanation.

*cough* In The Way *cough*

Anonymous said...

And it doesn't help that the doors are painted as black as midnight on a moonless night! I swear I came home and thought my door had been replaced with one of those Acme Instant Holes from Roger Rabbit.

But since they had planned it taking days to complete, I'm happy they didn't paint my door closed.

Maybe that's today's coat. ;)

Jono said...

The REAL question is painting your door a required action, an optional action, or a response?

I'm sure there's a valid answer to that dilemma (wrong word to use, umm, how about) inquery (yeah, that will do nicely).

Trundling Grunt said...

Maybe they're doing a mural for you? DO you get any say in colour or design?

Jason said...

Forunately, it only said you have to remove "outside decorations including your door mat."

Thus, if you have any outside decorations that do not include your door mat, you do not need to remove them.