Monday, December 18, 2006

Blood in the Water

Tomorrow, with little fanfare, M. Night Shyamalan's Lady in the Water comes out on DVD. Every time a movie hits DVD, it's time for most entertainment web sites and magazines to run an all-new batch of reviews for the film, even though the last batch of reviews (when the film was in theaters) is barely four or five months old. I won't bore you with my own re-review (but if you want to read what I thought, here you go), but I have to say I've been struck all over again by the venom of the reviewers who didn't like this movie.

I'm not looking down my nose at anyone who didn't think this was a cinematic masterpiece. You're entitled to your opinion. But I feel like the critics were particularly bitter about this movie the first time around, and they're being even harsher now.

The criticisms seem to stem around "what an ego-maniac this guy is." You know, as if he didn't write, direct, act in, and produce four movies that were generally well-liked before this one. (Okay, The Village was a rough spot for some people.)

I just don't get it. But maybe that's because I really, really liked Lady in the Water, and have been waiting for it to hit DVD pretty much since I walked out of the theater.

Anyone else have an experience where your opinion of a movie and that of the collective mass of critics seemed so mismatched?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

DOOM. it was filled with classic 80's action movie goodness and cliches, and The Rock had some great dialogue like "Dr. Carmack's condition is irreversible. Because his condition is that. (BLAM!). He's dead."

um, I have no idea why the critics would not like that movie...

the mole

GiromiDe said...

Twice I've sat in a packed theatre to find that only me and my friends find the movie hilarious -- Cable Guy and Wedding Singer.

I love Cable Guy, yet many critics panned it. Everyone expected Fart Joke Carrey to show up instead of Dark Creepy Carrey. I crack up everytime I see Ben Stiller in that one.