Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Something's Fishy

It's that time of year, so just like last year, and many years before that, I watched my favorite Christmas movie, Scrooged.

Afterward, I began playing the new Legend of Zelda game, Twilight Princess. I've not been Wii'd upon yet (I bought it for the GameCube), so I don't have to worry about things like this happening:


I only have to worry about an epidemic that has been spreading through fantasy video games -- fishing. A short while into the game, your character acquires a fishing pole and uses it to catch a fish to catch a cat to return to a shopkeeper ("that wriggled and wiggled and jiggled inside her..."). I was a little nervous to see that my first fish caught opened up a "fish journal" in which all the different fish I'll catch throughout the game will be tracked. Apparently, you have to fish a lot in this Zelda.

Animal Crossing, World of Warcraft, Zelda... what's with all the catching fish? This is not a particularly exciting activity in real life. Why would I want to spend time simulating the experience in a video game?

Fishing aside, though, I'm liking the game so far.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

despite my groaning at the prospect of hurling my Wii controller across the room (funny video BTW) I actually had a controller malfunction and coincidentally I was zelda-fishing while it happened.

later in the game when you go to the special fishing hole place, the fishing controls become more like real fishing, where you have to cast and reel with the two controllers. well I was sitting down and the cord connecting the controllers was caught under my knee when I went to pull back the fishing pole. the cord yanked out of the bottom of the remote and whipped me in the chest.

no damage to anything, just the shock of it happening had me laughing. that's my little be-careful story :)

and I gotta say, playing on the 'cube might be a little bit like playing DDR without the dance pad. swinging the remote to swing the sword adds A LOT to the game. I didn't think it would, but stabbing boss characters in the eyes is just way cooler in person.

the mole

DrHeimlich said...

mole, I just KNEW you would have a Wii already. It's just you, man. :-)

Have fun, and be safe! :-)

Anonymous said...

Fishing in video games is often much more fun than fishing in real life (though real life fishing is fun given certain circumstances). There tends to be much more variety and reward for doing it in video games.

I got a chance to play with a Wii for the first time and was quite impressed. I only played Wii sports and the boxing, while fun, was very hard to control. But the bowling felt just right - the spin and force seemed to be just what I wanted (only I was a lot more accurate than I am in real life). The tennis was also amazing. Within minutes, I was placing shots right where I wanted them depending on how I flicked the controller. I was going to hold out for awhile before getting a Wii, but now I'm not so sure.

Anonymous said...

Hmm... can you play with the controller held in other different ways? In your pocket? Up your butt? Inquiring minds want to know...

Anonymous said...

just to share...
:)
there is a small sensor you put either above or below your TV and it senses the remote's movements in all directions and rotations. it's not exactly pointing directly at the TV, but when you sweep it back and forth it sure feels like it knows right where you point it. I guess if you strapped a scope on it, it wouldn't line up perfectly. but it's pretty accurate anyway.

so yes, if you held it in your butt pointing at the screen, it would still work. but I promise I have never tried that so I can't be too sure...

some other fun interactions I know will be in future games: holding it in your hand and "running" in place, against your hip and "hula hooping", and you can actually hold the remote sideways to shoot your gun John Woo film style!

the mole

Anonymous said...

My own traditional Christmas movie is, believe it or not, Die Hard.
I watch it every year around Christmas.
A few trivia questions while we're at it:

- What's the exact name written on the door to Hollie's office?
- What's the price of a gallon of regular gasoline?
- What's the name of the terrorist who gets shot standing on he conference table?
- What's the number on Al Powell's car?

FKL