Friday, December 29, 2006

Resolve

Some time last week, I made myself a sort of "New Year's Resolution in reverse." Well, I don't really know what you'd call it, but it was a commitment to get something done before the arrival of 2007.

It was that damn Runelords book. I was lost somewhere in the middle of volume two (of four -- sigh), and vowed that I would not still be stuck on it come January 1st.

Well, one good thing that comes out of back-to-back blizzards and being snowbound is that you find yourself with a lot of time for reading. So I dug in (to the book; tunneling out my car was a separate matter). And sure enough, this week, I finished the book.

I'm not sure I can say it got better, but it did seem like the things I found bad about the writing were not so hard to take when I was just barreling through it. And the things I liked became a little more pronounced.

I'm still not recommending this series to anyone. I know I'm not picking up book three until I've read a few other things first. Maybe not even then. (Though it helps that, according to Amazon, volume three is less than 3/4s the size of two.) I guess I'm still holding out for that synopsis to miraculously appear online somewhere.

Anyway, the slate is clean, so I can start the new year with a new book. I've heard wonderful things about Max Brooks' World War Z, for example...

1 comment:

Roland Deschain said...

Oh, I recommend World War Z. I've only listened to the abridged audio version so far and it's made me want to pick up the book and read the whole thing.

I mean come on, ships taking zombies out to the ocean to dump them off - only to have them lurking along the ocean bottom and WALKING TO SHORE or just biting swimmers and divers?

How can you beat underwater zombies attacking people?

Maybe I'm simple to entertain...but the thought of that just kinda creeped me out. ;)