Sunday, December 31, 2006

Nothing Profound

For a while, I'd hoped that my last post of 2006 might be something special -- some grand look back at the year, as it pertains to me, or my readers, or what-not. But I discovered a profound lack of anything profound to say. Not to mention, for this blog, it would be just as appropriate to go out this year the same way I came in -- talking about random crap. And so...

Why the hell do people call good food "rib sticking?" That makes no sense to me at all. If your ribs are sticking into your stomach such that they can actually come into contact with your food, you have far more important issues demanding your attention than the quality of your meal.

Is it supposed to refer to the actual eating of barbeque ribs, the way the sauce is sticky and gets all over your fingers? Is there no other food considered "good" anywhere on the face of the Earth?

Is it supposed to be some kind of very subtle dig on the anorexic? Something like, "looking at you is like looking at an x-ray, but perhaps if you would stick some of this food to your ribs and cover them up... by which I mean from the inside, you know -- ingestion?!"

Happy New Year, everyone.

1 comment:

GiromiDe said...

Food that "sticks to one's ribs" is not necessarily great in flavor. The phrase implies heartiness -- how filling the food is. I remember first hearing the phrase from my Dad when he was describing Malt-O-Meal.

I can't find any etymology on the internet. Even the great Cecil Adams hasn't posted anything about the phrase on the Straight Dope site.

Happy New Year!