Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Snowpocalypse

As many of you have probably heard, Denver is presently being pummeled by the biggest blizzard to hit it since March 2003. And since I was still living in Virginia in 2003, this is the biggest blizzard I've seen in over a decade.

I went into work for half a day, then skidded home in second gear maybe just a little past the time where it was a good idea to be out and about. Fortunately, it was a drive home without real incident... at least until I got to the parking lot of my apartment complex.

The "driveway" in slants downhill, and had not been plowed all day. (Understandable, I suppose, since at that point in time, we were projected for at least another 24 hours of non-stop snow.) Coming to a stop on this slope was a bit of a challenge, but not unmanageable.

The problem was, turning the car into a parking space was. I'd try to steer my way in, then lose traction and slide uncomfortably close to another car. I'd try to back up for another run, but there was no traction to pull back. So I'd straighten out as best I could, then try another space a little farther down the hill... only to repeat the same process all over again.

Finally, I just settled for a fortunately empty space more or less directly in front of me, at the bottom of the hill. Well, empty except for the half foot of snow already in it. And there my car will rest until the snow stops, the drive is plowed, and the sun comes out. Because I guarantee you, there is no way my car is going to successfully back out of this spot and get back up the hill until then.

On the bright side, once safely home, I was able to enjoy the beauty of the snowfall, in a way that only someone not obligated to travel in it can. Some very funky drifts had formed over the wall facing one of the sidewalks in my apartment complex.

I'll take being snowbound for a couple days over a being in a hurricane, hands down.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lucky you!
We don't have one bit of snow over here, and I miss it terribly.
Somehow, "Brown Christmas" is not my favorite song. :(

FKL