Saturday, December 09, 2006

Street Signs

Hello, all! I have returned for my latest work trip, and am once again ready to inflict my "Maneuvers" upon you. I'll start with a short snippet from the Denver Airport I caught on my trip. There's a poster near the baggage claims that caught my eye:


For those of you who aren't Denver locals, E-470 is a toll road. So, this is an advertisement for a toll road. I find that, in and of itself, to be a fairly strange thing. I can't imagine seeing commercials for the New Jersey Turnpike, for example.

Secondly, this is a really weird ad for a toll road. Sure, I know the message is "drive the toll road, get where you're going faster," but I still say showing a woman in a bubble bath is just not the right way to promote a toll road.

Though, as I implied, I haven't really seen many toll road promotions before.

4 comments:

GiromiDe said...

This can't be free advertising, which means the state is putting itself more in the hole trying to get more people to drive on a toll road. I'm surprised Illinois hasn't thought of this yet, because my state gets sexually aroused at the thought of adding to its debt.

I'm surprised you could find this kind of ad among the likely dozens of consulting firm ads in your airport.

Trundling Grunt said...

I've been on that road and I didn't see her, or the hot tub. I feel gipped.

Jason said...

"but I still say showing a woman in a bubble bath is just not the right way to promote a toll road."

Ah, but it is. You noticed it, you posted it on your blog. How many other people do the same thing (notice it, at least, maybe not post it on their blog)?

No shock here, but pictures of pretty girls sell things. One year, we were looking at the sales figures for Scrye and found that the two issues that had cheesecake-ish art on the cover sold better than the other 10. Sure, there could have been other factors, but it sure explains a lot about Wizard.

GiromiDe said...

Scrye ran for at least twelve issues?! Wow!