Sunday, December 24, 2006

What a Concept(is)

Many of you have some days off here at this time of year, and possibly quite a lot of time on your hands you're not used to having to fill. Well, if you've got spare time, here's a way to completely wipe it out: Conceptis Puzzles. It's a web site loaded with all sorts of logic puzzles. You can play puzzles you've heard of (Sudoku) and puzzles you probably haven't (Pic-a-Pix, Slitherlink?), you can play online and off, you can pay to play or play the free weekly puzzles (check the link on the main page).

Yeah, this thing is a black hole to free time. I don't mean in a lame Vincent/Maximillian sort of way.

4 comments:

Roland Deschain said...

Wow...80's geek moment. Took me a moment to pick up the Vincent/Maximillian comment. Then I remembered that I have the storybook and 33 1/3 LP combo on my shelf. Oy, I probably didn't need to admit that. :P

Anonymous said...

there's always Neopets.com too. that has hundreds of flash games you can actually get points to spend on um, stuff. (I tried it out a while ago as a mild distraction at work and am kinda hooked) it's a free time-waster but maybe a bit on the cute side if you can't stand that sort of thing, but the site has a great sense of humor about itself.

the mole
(if you want to look me up on Neopets, my Xweetok won the Pet Spotlight #700 along with a nice short story I wrote)

GiromiDe said...

Roland...

Contents of the shelf over my bed from 1978 through 1985:

VINCENT model

Maximillian model

the Cygnus

Darth Vader model (with glowing lightsaber)

some aircraft carrier

an X-Wing

a mobile of cardboard ships from Star Trek: The Motion Picture

a set of bubble gum cards from Star Trek: The Motion Picture

a stack of small records, including Disney Mother Goose nursery rhymes, the Star Wars Trilogy, two weird Star Trek "record episodes,"

...and my dad still has the 33 1/3 LP of The Black Hole in his cabinet. John Barry's score is still pretty strong.

The Black Hole certainly lost its luster over the years in my mind, but I think it was a great attempt at channeling Hitchcock in the sci-fi genre. It's a shame it fell dismally short in the third act.

GiromiDe said...

And, Maximillian deserves a place in the pantheon of great movie villians. He's the most terrifying robot I've seen to date.