Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Shut Down / Fringe

Due to the Denver FOX affiliate opting to simulcast last night's Broncos game, it was only tonight that this week's episode of Prison Break aired.

It was a pretty average episode -- nothing really great in it, but neither anything to really discourage the hope I'd started to have last week about the revitalization of the show.

William Fichtner's performance as Mahone tonight was especially good, but then he always delivers when given good material. I found it less plausible that Linc would suddenly abandon his "you killed my father" vendetta against Mahone just because the man lost his son, but... shrug.

Where Fichtner's acting shone bright, new-to-the-show Michael Rapaport's acting seemed pretty feeble. I hate to say it, because I've like this guy on other shows (such as Boston Public), but he seems way miscast in this part. It seems like his character is destined to spend a lot of time badgering and threatening Scofield. But he comes off far to meek to be credible at this, especially given how strong we know Scofield is from having watched him for three seasons. I think New Guy is just gonna get plowed over.

We'll see if things pick up more next week.

A quick footnote, though, as long as I'm talking about FOX television. Tonight marked the premiere of J.J. Abrams' latest creation, Fringe. After the pilot episode, I find myself a lot less enthusiastic about this series than I was about his past efforts. I remember liking Lost and Alias right out of the gate. Hell, I even thought Felicity started strong. (Yes, snicker if you like -- I watched Felicity. It was a good show.)

After about the first half of the Fringe pilot, I was seriously contemplating turning it off. The pace was slow, the story didn't seem solid, and none of the characters were really popping for me. I am glad I stuck it through, though, because the second half really did improve. Things got tighter and more interesting. It didn't leave me eager for another episode, but it did at least leave me in a place where I think I will watch the next episode.

Again, we'll see if things pick up more next week.

2 comments:

Roland Deschain said...

I'm with you on Fringe, Dr. After watching the leaked version of the pilot a few months ago, I was intrigued but not impressed. I watched again tonight as I knew there had been changes made - and indeed some effects changed and things were further explained than previously.

But it's still striking me as a show taking the "conspiracy" storyline of The X-Files and turning it into its own series...which just does not enthrall me at all.

I'm curious enough to give it another shot, but I'm not sold on being an avid viewer (or searching it out when it is inevitably moved from night to night by Fox...)

GiromiDe said...

Felicity was a good show. I'll back you up on that.