Friday, September 05, 2008

Wendy's City

Because of the commercial-free bubble my DVR allows me to live in, I hadn't become aware of some of the new "Frosty technology" that's been unleashed at Wendy's fast food restaurants. Oh, I knew about the vanilla variant (and the swirled), but only as I rode through the drive-thru a couple nights ago in my friend's car did I learn they're now mixing candy bits in them, DQ Blizzard-style.

Without me bringing up this revelation, a co-worker of mine got to talking about these things at lunch today. Apparently, he thinks the "ice cream" used in a Frosty is the best known to man -- better than any soft serve he can think of. And candy in them?! In his words, "when goodness meets goodness? Man, that's greatness."

I wouldn't oversell it like that. But it wasn't not tasty.

My first Wendy's experience in obviously a long time was not dominated by the Frosty, though. It was the Junior Bacon Cheeseburger that got my attention more. See, I'd already eaten dinner by the time my friend pulled the car into the drive-thru, but I found myself just a little peckish. I figured one of these new Frosty concoctions and a JBC would about be right.

Well, honey, they've shrunk the cheeseburgers. This thing was basically a White Castle, without the ensuing gastric distress. It was so small, it was cute. Even in my "I'm not really hungry" state, I think I could have finished three of them, no problem.

It's likely none of this is news to any of you, but it was to me. So, in case this is a service to any would-be Wendy's goers, there's my report.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks like you need to try the frosty n fries. order a regular frosty and some french fries and dip the fries in the frosty. I know it sounds wierd and I'm not going to over-hype it, but it's pretty tasty.

the mole

Roland Deschain said...

Mole - AMEN, brother. The fries dipped in the frosty. It's just one of those weirdnesses that you wouldn't expect to be decent.

Dr - the only place I have found that hasn't gone totally shrink happy yet is Burger King. The Whopper is still farking huge. But go to McD, Arbys, etc...the Quarter Pounder is almost what the regular cheeseburger used to be and a Arby's Regular is now what the junior used to be.

All for a higher price, of course.

Anonymous said...

FYI... Frosty's are NOT ice cream!!! They are a Veggie oil based dessert!