Tuesday, December 13, 2005

All's Well That Ends Well

It seems like it's rare, but sometimes these reality shows do turn out the way you hope. In tonight's final installment of The Amazing Race, the Weavers finished last of the three teams. That was really all I was looking for, but the Linzes were my pick to win, in a perfect world, and I got that wish too.

The Weavers were horrible to the very end. For the second time on the race (the last being the non-elimination leg that kept them in the game), they totally threw it in and wanted to quit, dismissing the stadium search as "stupid." I was almost feeling bad for Rolly for a minute. As before, when they should have been eliminated, I found myself screaming at the TV: "if they want to quit so badly, then let them!"

Hurling names at the other teams inside the stadium, they bumped into one of them (literally) outside, and then the mother has the nerve, hypocrisy, short-term memory, take your pick, to say say it's wrong of the other teams to call them names. I can't tell you how freaking ecstatic I was to see them come up with the last plane departure time after that.

It's funny how nerve-rattling that last challenge, simply putting together a geographical jigsaw puzzle, turned out to be. For one, it appeared to be a really close finish. How much pressure would be on you, to be the one working the puzzle? How horrible would it be to be one of three stuck on the sidelines, unable to do anything to help in the one challenge that was going to ultimately decide it all? Ugh.

And as a fun little coda on the whole thing, I had a small thrill with the scenes of the next installment of The Amazing Race. It looks like the next Race begins (began, technically, I suppose) right here in Denver, in Red Rocks Amphitheater. Neat!

"Hey... listen... I'm starting in The Amazing Race tomorrow. Do you mind dropping me off on your way to work in the morning? It's only 10 minutes away."

1 comment:

GiromiDe said...

The Weavers pretty much tell the world what's wrong with our country -- too many people like them.