Sunday, December 04, 2005

The Lines That Divide Us

You've all probably heard hundreds of ways to divide people into two categories. Here's my latest realization along those lines:

There are two kinds of people in the world -- those who regularly make use of a soldering iron, and those who don't.

I have two key fobs for the auto-door locks and alarm of my car. In the last couple weeks, both of them have started flaking out on me. Turns out both of them had bad solder joints inside, and both of those were going bad at about the same time.

I had a helpful friend over tonight who offered to take them home with him and bring them back to me next time I see him, better than before. And I thanked him for the service, because I am one of the people in the latter category -- I can't think of anything I've ever needed a soldering iron for in my entire life. But he falls into the former category -- he owns a soldering iron because he uses one on quite a regular basis.

By the way... whoever decided that an English word could have a silent "L" in it is having a big laugh at everyone's expense.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've used soldering irons for years. Many dead consoles can attest to that.

Major Rakal said...

The odd part is that apparently in a British variant of the pronunciation, the "l" is not silent.