Monday, December 12, 2005

Mayan Musings

I was visiting friends down in Colorado Springs last night, so it was only this evening that my "Survivor buddy" got to come over for both of us to enjoy the finale of our guilty pleasure.

For the first time in a long time, I'm content with who won. I knew looking at the final four that I was gonna be happy with whoever won. (Because I knew Lydia had no chance.)

But, I also think that a month or two from now, I'll be hard-pressed to remember much about this Survivor. Jeff Probst was saying at the reunion show, "thanks for giving us a great season," but I'm wondering how sincere he really was. Yes, it was certainly more physically demanding, but there wasn't much else going for it besides that.

Those three women in the back row at the reunion? I'd totally forgotten about all of them. Between "firefighter" and "Butthole Surfer," I couldn't remember a single distinguishing thing about any of them. And most of the people who stayed on longer weren't much more memorable, really.

Judd, a total, buried-in-denial, giant, whining baby until the very end.

Bobby Jon and Jamie... strangely getting along now. I was seriously getting just a bit of a Brokeback Farmstead vibe from them. (My Survivor bud said "Bobby Jon is totally the bottom in that couple.")

Rafe, who just didn't know when to stop being a "good guy." He totally lost $1,000,000 because Steph cried.

And the rest... I'm already starting to forget.

3 comments:

DavĂ­d said...

At first I thought you were going to talk about the awful Mexican restaurant in Salt Lake with the cliff divers. After all, you blogged about Denver's version before.

Anonymous said...

yeah, I agree, Rafe was an idiot. I was guessing he was playing another nice-guy card for jury votes, but it turned out he was just a plain nice guy and talked himself right out of winning.

even Danni, who won, didn't really stand out as a "character". we all remember Steph because she was in two seasons and all, but besides the big baby Judd there wasn't to many memorable people. or I guess I should say "pop-culture-marketable." I don't think we'll be seeing shaver commercials with Bobby Jon.

but it's okay; the candy treat that is Survivor has been consumed and can fade away. it's probably as close to watch-it-once-only TV as you can get.

other highlights include the acknowledgement of the Curse of the Car. though Cindy had no chance anyway and was wise to keep that beast of a car (I was almost sure that they would have given her the 5th car (they drove up 4 extra cars during the challenge) at the reunion show anyway but I guess we'll never know)

and the eating of the sacrificed chicken. yikes. that was intense. I would have done exactly what Rafe did, despite logic telling me it was just a chicken. it's one moment where you have to realize they are filming this and people will be watching. those Mayans had to be all "oh no they didn't!"

-the mole

TheGirard said...

i love survivor...when there were like 6 people left Marnie turns to me and is like "how in the hell is the old lady still there???"