Thursday, January 11, 2007

Office Gossip

It's starting to look as though the trendiest gig in Hollywood, if you're a director, is to do an episode of the American version of The Office. Last month, an episode directed by Harold Ramis aired, and at the time it seemed like a pretty big deal, given the great comedy movies he's made in his career.

But that was only the beginning of the procession. J.J. Abrams, co-creator of Lost, is going to direct an episode later this season. And this week, it was announced that Joss Whedon will also direct an episode.

You might expect the fanboy geek in me to be ecstatic about this. But the truth is, I find I'm not very excited.

First of all, The Office has a very set style to it. It's filmed in a very specific way that doesn't really change. There's nothing that J.J. Abrams or Joss Whedon... or hell, Steven Spielberg or Martin Scorsese... could do with it to put their imprint on it. Not in keeping with it being an episode of The Office. It's unlikely we're going to see any big Abrams or Whedon greatness here.

Secondly, whatever strengths Abrams and Whedon have as directors is in my opinion a distant second to their strengths as writers. If it had been announced that either of these two were writing an episode of The Office, I'd be pretty stoked. That would be a way they really could make a mark on the show.

Thirdly, Abrams and Whedon have other projects they really ought to be working on. Lost really wasn't up to snuff in the six episode mini-arc that began season three, and I think maybe that show could really benefit from another shot of the directorial genius displayed in the pilot episode by J.J. Abrams. And Joss Whedon has two movies in the works that he says are keeping him too busy to create another television series of his own. And that man should never not have a series on the air. I mean, unless he'd rather make movies, then okay... but if so, he should be making those movies!

I guess if it gets more eyeballs on the screen to be watching The Office, it's a good thing in the long run. The American version was definitely a slow starter, not an embarrassment to the British original, but no real winner. But over time, it's grown by leaps and bounds, and certainly now deserves a bigger audience than it gets.

If some of those are disaffected Lost fans or listless Joss fans, I guess that's okay.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't try and force myself to like The Office. I keep hearing how funny the show is and I watched it several times, but it's just too unrealistic in a bothersome way. there's just no way people would get away with acting like that at work in real life.

I'll try to catch the Whedon episode though. hopefully he'll get to cast the guest roles... can we say cameo(s)? (dreams of a corporate takeover episode with the entire cast of Firefly or Angel)

the mole

Shocho said...

Mr. Mole, I agree with you. I have tried and tried to find this show funny. I have discovered that it's more funny the day after when you're talking about it for some weird reason.

However, I felt the same way about Seinfeld for years, and now I love that show. So I wonder if I'm missing something with The Office.

Brad said...

Wait! back up. You don't think Scorsese could do something with the Office?

oh, I think Scorsese would blow our minds.

GiromiDe said...

Agreed, Evan.

I'd love to see the kind of script belched forth from Whedon, Abrams, or any other genre scribe. I'd love to see if they can button themselves down and insert some subtle theatrics into the mundane antics at Dunder Mifflin.

Mr. Mole, I think you have to invoke some suspension of disbelief at times, but this week's episode pretty much answered any lingering questions about why the Scranton office was still around at all. Michael Scott and his sales team are actually really good in their region, and I don't find that hard to believe. One doesn't have to be socially adjusted to be a successful salesperson.