Tuesday, January 02, 2007

The Year in Review -- Games

As in 2005, I kept a list running all year (thanks to BoardGameGeek) of all the games I played during 2006.

I came up with a total of 233 games played, 7 games shy of where I fell in 2005. I would have expected more in 2006, actually -- during 2005, my moving back to Colorado caused a nearly one month gap where I hardly played anything at all. I can't explain how that all added up the way it did.

In any case, here's the 2006 list:

25 Words or Less (5)
Apples to Apples (11)
Apples to Apples Junior (1)
Attika (1)
Augsburg 1520 (1)
Blackjack (1)
Carcassonne (5)
Carcassonne - Hunters & Gatherers (1)
Carcassonne - The Discovery (1)
Cartagena (3)
Caylus (10)
Cribbage (1)
Detroit-Cleveland Grand Prix (1)
Eurorails (1)
Fearsome Floors (2)
Finish Lines (1)
Goa (1)
Hearts (3)
Hunting Party (1)
Linie 1 (6)
Lost Cities (1)
Louis XIV (2)
Metro (3)
New England (1)
No Merci! (8)
Palazzo (6)
Perudo (5)
Poker (10)
Power Grid (1)
Pueblo (1)
Puerto Rico (6)
Ra (4)
Ricochet Robot (21)
RoboRally (1)
Rumis (1)
Samurai (1)
Scattergories (3)
Scene It? - TV (1)
Set (16)
The Settlers of Catan (5)
Sleuth (1)
Speed Scrabble (1)
Squint (1)
TAMSK (2)
Terra Nova (1)
Through the Desert (1)
Thurn and Taxis (6)
Ticket to Ride (4)
Ticket to Ride - Marklin Edition (12)
Ticket to Ride Europe (2)
Time's Up (10)
Titan the Arena (1)
Tongiaki (1)
Too Many Cooks (4)
TransAmerica (10)
Trivial Pursuit Totally 80s Edition (1)
Tsuro (2)
Der Untergang von Pompeji (2)
Up and Down (16)
Werewolf (1)

And here are a few things I find notable about this list:

No Blokus. Blokus is a great little abstract strategy game. And yet I didn't play it once all year. I think it's a victim of "number of player" squeeze. The box tells you 2 to 4 players. Which is a complete lie. It works great with 2 or 4. Try it with 3, and it's a complete joke. That's why they made the "Trigon" version of it.

Only 1 game of Goa. I like this quite a lot. It has enough of the general feeling of Puerto Rico to scratch that itch -- since the friends I most commonly play games with hate Puerto Rico but like Goa, it's a way for me to still enjoy that kind of game. (I know, I'm still disbelieving that there are people in the word who don't like Puerto Rico.)

Only 1 game of Attika.This is another game I quite like, and used to play all the time. I'm gonna have to drag it out more regularly in 2007.

No Princes of Florence. Before Puerto Rico came along (say, circa 2003), this was the game I played every week, at least once a week. I still love it. I just haven't ever pushed to try it out with the local game crowd. A shame.

Only 1 game of Sleuth. This is one of only 3 games I've rated a 10 over on BoardGameGeek. But compare it to how much I played the other two (Time's Up and Up and Down, or as some call it, Up and Down the River). That's just not right.

Short games always show up. I do like Ricochet Robot and Set. They're not among my absolutely favorites, but I do like them. Still, the fact you can play either in 20 minutes or less means they get played a hell of a lot.

Something we haven't played in a while. Some time around September or October, my most regular gaming friends and I decided that every week, we'd make an effort to pull out one board game we hadn't played in a long while. (Or, something completely new.) This led to a number of extra one-shot entries on my list, and I'm glad it did: Detroit-Cleveland Grand Prix, Eurorails, RoboRally, Samurai, and Through the Desert, among others. I want to keep that idea rolling in 2007. Especially because I compared 2006 to 2005, and found the variety of games I played in 2006 was a lot narrower -- 60 different titles in this past year, when I managed 80 the year before that.

But in all, a good year in games. And I'm hoping for even better in 2007.

6 comments:

TheGirard said...

:(

I haven't played Puerto Rico all freaking year.

I have the shakes now, supposedly they have an ointment for it.

Anonymous said...

My list would read:

World of Warcraft: 6583902847656

Kyle

Davíd said...

After you did your year in review last year, I tried to be good by recording each game I played at board game geek. I failed. :(

I'll try again this year. So far, 1 Settlers of Catan.

Anonymous said...

Okay then, here's my list.
(* means it was a new game for me.)

*10 Days in the USA 1
6 nimmt! 2
*A&A: Battle of the Bulge 2
Abalone 16
Acquire 1
Adel Verpflichtet 1
*Africa 1
*Age of Steam 1
*Alarme 3
*Antike 1
*Aqua Romana 1
*Aquädukt 2
*Ave Caesar 2
Backgammon 9
*Ballons 1
*Battleground Fantasy Warfare 1
*Bazaar 1
Big City 1
*Bison 2
*Black Box 4
Bobby Lee 1
*Bonaparte at Marengo 1
Buffalo 4
Byzantium 1
*C&C: Ancients 10
Can't Stop 6
Carcassonne 5
*Cash 'n Guns 7
Capitol 2
Cartagena 2
*Caylus 1
Chinatown 1
*Clash of the Gladiators 1
Coloretto 2
*Dao 5
*Diabolo 2
*Die Magier von Pangea 1
Diamant 17
Doge 2
*Duell 7
*Dungeon Twister 1
Durch die Wüste 2
DVONN 4
*Easter Island 1
El Caballero 1
*Elasund 1
Fifth Avenue 1
*Fire and Ice 1
*Fist of Dragonstones 2
Formule Dé 4
Formula Motor Racing 1
*Friedrich 1
*Fury of Dracula 1
GIPF 5
*Go West! 1
*Goldland 1
Gulo Gulo 3
Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage 1
Hase und Igel 1
Heave Ho! 1
*Heroscape 1
*Hey! That's My Fish! 1
*Hi Ho! Cherry-O 1
Kupferkessel Co. 7
King Lui 2
*Kreta 1
*L'Escalier hanté 2
La Città 1
La Crique des Pirates 1
Land Unter 1
Les Chevaliers de la Table Ronde 4
Liar's Dice 1
Loups-Garous 2
Lost Cities 2
*Maharaja 1
*Maîtres Voleurs 6
Mammoth Hunters 1
*Manila 2
*Masons 1
Mastermind 2
Medieval Merchant 1
Memoir '44 35
*Mesopotamia 1
*Mission: Planète Rouge 3
Modern Art 1
*Mr. Jack 3
Munchhausen 1
Mystery of the Abbey 1
Niagara 3
*Oltre Mare 4
Pickomino 1
Pique Plume 5
*Polarity 1
*Pueblo 1
Puerto Rico 1
PÜNCT 2
Pyraos 1
Quelques arpents de piège 3
Ra 1
*Railroad Tycoon 2
*Rat Hot 1
*Rocketville 1
Royal Turf 2
*Rum & Pirates 2
Samurai 1
*San Juan 1
Scotland Yard 3
*Shear Panic 1
*Siam 19
Sleuth 1
*Sticheln 1
Taj Mahal 1
TAMSK 4
*Tempus 1
Terrace 5
*That's Life! 2
*The End of the Triumvirate 1
The First World War 1
The Princes of Florence 1
The Traders of Genoa 1
*Thurn and Taxis 4
Ticket to Ride 2
Tongiaki 1
*Tower of Babel 3
Trippples 2
*Twilight Struggle 1
Union Pacific 1
Vampire 1
*Victory & Honor 1
Villa Paletti 3
Vinci 2
Wallenstein 2
Web of Power 1
Wyatt Earp 1
YINSH 2
ZÈRTZ 1

I played 355 games in 2006. Among them, 136 were different games.
I keep my tally on an Excel sheet I've made up just for that a few years ago, so I have access to a few more stats than the Geek would give me. Namely, how many different people I played with last year (56), the number of new games I tried (62) and how often I played with each of the 56 opponents I've had the pleasure of facing. Interestingly enough, my girlfriend took the prize this year, with 103 games with me. This is someone new in my life, and she likes to play games a lot. It's the first time I've had a girlfriend who outplayed all my other opponents as far as total games played with me go.
I won't complain! :)

FKL

Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot one cool thing.
I got to play all 10 big-box Alea games in one sitting. That rocked.
See here for a few more details if you're intrigued.

[Damn, the Geek -- and thus my Geeklist -- is down. I'll come back later and try to post the link again.]

FKL

Anonymous said...

Finally!
Here's the thing:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/18590

FKL