Saturday, January 20, 2007

Unexpected Turn

This afternoon, I went to see Pan's Labyrinth, the Spanish-language film that has in the last month been gathering a large amount of critical acclaim. I liked the film overall, but I didn't really get what I was expecting.

From all the advertisements of this movie, and most of the buzz, I was going in expecting the tale of a young girl's strange journey into a fantastical world. Something along the lines of The Neverending Story, perhaps. Instead, this movie is actually a wartime story centered around the resistance movement against a fascist military leader. Oh, and it happens that his wife's daughter (from a previous marriage) also happens to see fairies here and there.

In other words, I have to say that the fantasy elements of this movie that make for the eye-popping commercials feel almost incidental to the film. I say almost because you could argue instead that the real theme of the movie revolves around the time in childhood where one loses innocence. There are a lot of themes at work in this movie. They don't quite blend completely, in my opinion, but neither do they clash. And certainly, the result is a layered, thought- and talk-provoking film.

It's just not the movie I was expecting to see.

Well directed, well acted (this is why subtitles are better than dubbing), I give this film a B+. Perhaps I'd mark it higher if I'd gone in with proper expectations, but it is also a heavy film to take, so I don't anticipate seeing it again soon with those expectations realigned.

2 comments:

DavĂ­d said...

Ooh, I've been waiting for this movie for awhile. Not in Salt Lake yet, but I imagine it will be here once Sundance is over.

Anonymous said...

yeah the commercials definitely make it look like it would be similar to um,.. (David Bowie's?) Labyrinth. I'm not a big fan of subtitles, at first. I want to "watch" my movies, not read. I always find it very distracting. now if I've seen it a few times (Kung Fu Hustle plug) then I kinda know what's going on and it's okay to watch the original performances. (without the subtitles, they're still distracting...)

and a completely unrelated mention to remind everybody that Battlestar Galactica has been moved to Sundays at 10. tonight. we have a plan.

the mole