Friday, January 12, 2007

Pencils Down

I've been a fan of the comic strip Fox Trot for many, many years. I can almost even say decades. (Yikes!) Unlike other comic strips I thought were funny when I was a kid that I look at today and scratch my head in "what was I thinking?" confusion (I'm looking at you, Garfield), Fox Trot has stayed just as funny over its long life.

As 2007 has rolled around, Fox Trot's creator, Bill Amend, has decided to sort of pull up stakes. He's not doing a full-on Bill Watterson (sniff, Calvin and Hobbes) and ending the strip completely. But he's cut back to only doing one strip a week, on Sundays.

Part of me wants to resent it. I mean, how hard could it possibly be to come up with one four-panel comic strip every weekday? But then, I suppose to maintain a good level of quality, it can't be entirely easy. I mean, I make a blog post every day, but let's face it -- some of them are crap.

Then again, I don't get paid to blog as a career.

I suppose, though, since it is a career for Bill Amend, if the man wants to semi-retire from it, he's entitled.

Still, we're only a few weeks into this new schedule, and I'm already feeling Fox Trot withdraw.

2 comments:

Major Rakal said...

Me too. I enjoyed FoxTrot quite a bit. Why is it that the good comic strips are the ones that get cancelled (Calvin and Hobbes, Bloom County), while repetitive crap like Garfield and Blondie seems to linger forever? Must be that the crap ones are so easy to churn out that no one has to get tired of thinking them up.

GiromiDe said...

Right, Kathy.

Garfield and Blondie are akin to the "100 Ways To Keep Your Man Satisfied" articles that appear in every women's magazine at least three times each year.