Friday, July 29, 2005

So Far, 14 Down

You've probably noticed that Battlestar Galactica has changed its opening sequence from the first season. This year, they're using different theme music (the theme from the season one UK broadcasts of the show, actually). They've eliminated the "clips of this week's episode" montage. And they've added some text summarizing the plot of the series.

Of particular interest is the listed number of survivors of the colonies' destruction -- because it is both accurate and being maintained on a weekly basis. It was actually my friend, watching last week's episode at my place, who first noticed this very cool touch on the new opening credits. (With the first episode still on my TiVo, I was able to quickly go back and verify this.)

There was one death during the season premiere, and at the start of episode two, the number had dropped accordingly. Episode two brought the Cylon rampage on board Galactica, and tonight's update to the count informed us that the death toll (including the death on the surface of Kobol) was 12. Tonight, another life was taken, so you can expect next week's intro to reduce the number accordingly.

It's all in the details... something that Galactica consistently gets right.

7 comments:

Tom said...

I noticed the count, and wondered about it when I was watching last night. Pretty cool!

thisismarcus said...

This season is so good so far. The Vice President will shoot a man in the back and lie about what happened and now Chief Tyrol knows. Roslin got some good screen time too, and I love the smoking doctor.

BTW I swear I didn't read your blog before I did my BSG post today :).

GiromiDe said...

I should not skip through the opening credits any longer.

I saw ads for the U.K. version of the first season on DVD. Is there any reason I should purchase that one over the eventual U.S. version?

thisismarcus said...

At Best Buy? I was confused by that too. Apart from the better theme music, I think its a case of "get it now" or "get it later with extras".

DrHeimlich said...

Marcus has explained it accurately. This current release is Best Buy exclusive, has no extras, and the UK theme music. Wait two months, and you can have the souped up US version, with 9 commentaries, the mini-series on an extra disc, and other special features.

Mkae said...

Yikes. Blogging just saved me some bucks then. I was standing in Best Buy, holding this thing and trying to figure out why the spider-sense was tingling.

So what you're saying Marcus, is that this is just the U.K. trying to rip off unsuspecting Americans?

Figures. :)

Aussie-Askew said...

My beloved is particularly upset about the whole change of theme music. She loved the goose bumps the original gave her.

And we noted a comment about the body count also. As they said therer were 14 dead after the Cylon attack, I remarked "well I suppose they are going to have to change the opening credits now." Didn't actually expect 'em to though!