Friday, July 01, 2005

Must See Movies

You know that old cliche from movie trailers and commercials, "If you see only one movie this [year, summer, whatever], see..." It's been a while since I've actually heard that line used in a real trailer, but it used to really make the rounds. And it always made me wonder, "who actually only sees one movie a year?"

I might not be able to pick them out on the streets, but I can definitely pick them out in the theater. I know them because they're the only ones laughing at the commercials before the movie. They think the Fandango lunch sacks are funny. Or the geek from the 80s that "invented" MovieTickets.com. They haven't seen the "Crouching Tiger-esque" reminder from Best Buy to turn off your damn cell phones. Or before that, the "Bring It On" parody. Or before that, the buffalo hunt. Or before that, the submariners.

I've seen those damn "Fantanas" so many times I want to gouge the eyes out of anyone I see take a swig from a can, but there's always somebody, somewhere in the theater who's laughing out loud in the silence between ads. These are the people who only see one movie a year.

And that usually makes me ask, "why this movie?"

Here's a couple that hasn't gotten out of the house for at least four months. But they finally decided to do it for... Hide and Seek? Sahara? Mindhunters??? How's their thought process working that they're saying to themselves: "You know, I passed this year on Spider-Man 2, The Grudge, The Incredibles, Collateral, The Bourne Supremacy, Shrek 2, and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban... but Boogeyman! I just have to see Boogeyman."

3 comments:

DavĂ­d said...

I have to admit that the first time I saw the first Fandango ad (the one where the middle-aged lunch sack couple talk about going clubbing) I thought that was a funny line. And the Bollywood parody in the other ad I found somewhat clever. I was over both my the second time I saw them.

thisismarcus said...

That was me, yesterday. Kyle totally set me up to believe the cellphone warning was a new wire-fu movie. Me so gullible.

Do you remember which movie (a comedy) had the tagline "if you only see one movie this year, see Star Wars. But if you see two, come and see [name goes here]"?

BubbaJoe said...

I believe that was one of the Austin Powers movies... I don't remember which one (and I haven't really liked any of them) but the add was pretty good. =)