Saturday, July 16, 2005

If You Can't Beat 'Em... You're Not Alone

If you're planning to somehow stay in the dark until the November TV broadcast about the outcome of the 2005 World Series of Poker main event, then turn away from this post now. There be spoilers to follow.

Your new WSoP Champion is.... Joe Hachem? Yes, as I predicted and lamented, this year's main event was won by a complete unknown. This was in fact his first WSoP event ever, of any category. And I feel about what I expected. The "anyone can win" factor here is nice, but I still hoped a long-time vet would defy the odds and pull out a win.

Well, I'm not being entirely fair. Hachem, from Melbourne, Australia, has been earning his living exclusively as a professional poker player for some time. He says he stayed away from the WSoP until now because he felt his kids were too young for him to be jaunting halfway around the world for several weeks. Fair enough.

Still, all I'm saying is, the days of the "Johnny Chan/Eric Siedel" sort of final clash as immortalized in Rounders are clearly over. (P.S. -- Poor Siedel. He's really a better player than the movie makes him out to be.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Could just be that WSoP hasn't quite "matured" yet - still too many good poker players who aren't part of it. I imagine it'll settle down in a few years.