Monday, June 06, 2005

1.8288 Meters Under

Thirteen weeks until I can cancel my HBO subscription. Since they pulled the plug on Carnivale, Six Feet Under is the only thing to keep me watching. And they began their final season tonight.

I enjoyed the episode throughout, but the big highlight for me was the conversation Brenda imagined with Lisa at her wedding. It was a nasty, drag-out, right-for-the-jugular attack on all of Brenda's insecurities. Of course, the writers of Six Feet Under would never sweep their backstory under the rug; still, I appreciated seeing Brenda's self-destructive behavior from season two coming back to haunt her.

I know I lost some of you back at the beginning when I threatened to cancel my HBO. You're asking "What about The Sopranos? What about Deadwood?"

I've missed the boat on Deadwood, I'm afraid. Sounds like it could be good, but I need to find someone who can loan me the season one DVDs so I can check it out. Or maybe I need to suck it up and go to Blockbuster or something. (It's just that that seems so ludicrous when you own as many DVDs as I do.)

As for The Sopranos... I've never met a mob drama I liked. That's including the godfather of them all, The Godfather. Brilliant actors, sure. But the story just plain bored me. I couldn't bring myself to care which criminals are successfully going to "whack" the other criminals before the final reel. I just couldn't relate to any of the characters. I realize this is cinematic sacrilege to a lot of people out there. I don't begrudge anyone who liked The Godfather. But I gave it a chance, and a few episodes of The Sopranos too -- they're just not for me.

I guess I like my death Alan Ball-style.

5 comments:

GiromiDe said...

Donnie Brasco is a good mob flick because it also shows how the good guys can ultimately get screwed over more than the bad guys.

TheGirard said...

What you don't watch Entourage?

:snicker:

thisismarcus said...

Goodfellas is king of the genre, every time. So stylish! Though that won't make up for the gangster content if that doesn't flick your switch.

BTW HBO is a pain in the ass. Back home, HBO shows are bought by the regular networks and screened for free, even if you have to wait for a show to have a run on satellite/cable first. Having to pay, invite myself over somewhere or download episodes of The Sopranos takes a lot of the joy out of the show :(

GiromiDe said...

I don't need to read one more post about how content is so much easier to access and cheaper in Europe and Asia. For the love of Brad, we all know American stinks at content delivery, be it programming, phone, or internet. I'll only be 55 when I can get reasonable wireless networked 100Mbit into my house.

DrHeimlich said...

You know, I actually watched an episode of Entourage once, just to see if it helped "defray" the cost of HBO. Nope.

I've heard good things about Goodfellas, but then, I heard good things about The Godfather too, of course.