Tuesday, June 28, 2005

They Paved Paradise...

Here are two "guidelines" that I personally try to maintain on my blog:

1) I try not to blog about political subjects very often.

2) I try not to just blog about all the funny links I've seen on Fark.

I'm making an exception to both of these guidelines to bring you this, detailing how a private developer is trying to get the government to seize the land on which the house of Supreme Court Justice David H. Souter stands, to make way for a hotel.

Let me be clear... I don't actually expect anything to come of this. I just think this is a quite creative form of protest. By contrast, let me offer you this:

I work three blocks from the State Capitol building in Denver. Often, I walk into the lower downtown area for lunch, passing right in front of the steps of the capitol. Two or three times a week, there is some protest or demonstration of some kind or another going on there. Like today, there's a horse in front of the capitol, telling me to "vote no on C." Apparently, if this amendment passes, Achilles and his cohorts are going to come bursting out from inside the law and slash apart the government from the inside. Or something.

The opposition was there in force today, too. Not that their presentation was any better. It was about 50 people waving hand-made signs, chanting (a la "less filling!" "tastes great!"): "Yes on C and D." "Save Colorado." I suppose I at least have to credit the horse for 1) showing some creativity, and 2) not comparing the people they don't like to Hitler.

But it's all nothing compared to trying to bulldoze Souter's house for a hotel. That's just awesomely creative, no matter what side of the issue you're on.

4 comments:

Davíd said...

The Colorado issue (on the legality of selling horses for slaughter) made it to national news today. NPR's All Things Considered did a story on it.

thisismarcus said...

Anyone know where I can find NPR in Norfolk? I don't have a digital tuner and can never tell when I've reached it.

Davíd said...

npr.org has a station-finder

Kathy said...

I think it's 89.5 for the talk, 90.something for the classical music arm.