Thursday, June 09, 2005

Bring on the Violence!

If you're part of the crew I used to watch 24 with every week, then you'll know where I'm coming from when I say that one of our favorite parts of each episode is the very beginning, when Slightly-Too-Happy Fox Guy comes on and says: "Due to some graphic violence, viewer discretion is advised." We would always cheer collectively at that. In fact, even though I had to watch the last half of the season alone each week, I'd still cheer out loud when STHFG made his weekly announcement.

Recently, I've been watching the TV series Miracles on DVD -- another promising, but canceled show. This one was sort of a "religious X-Files," if I had to distill the concept down as quickly as possible. ABC pulled the plug on it after 6 episodes aired.

Anyway, I was watching an episode tonight. To my great surprise, before it started up, a similar warning appeared on screen. It was voiced by Possible Brother of STHFG: "Due to intense subject matter, viewer discretion is advised." It wasn't part of the episode content itself; it popped up special, separate from the episode. (In other words, this wasn't some warning left over from TV broadcast.) How odd, I think, for such a warning to be on a DVD like that. I mean, you have already bought or rented the DVD, and you know what sort of stuff you're in for. Why the warning?

I will say this, though. Purely out of reflex, I cheered out loud. Of course, half a second later, I'm thinking, "wait a minute... they put that on the DVD?" And half a second after that, I was sort of hoping that maybe when the fourth season of 24 comes out on DVD, that they actually put it on that DVD. Just because to me, that's all part of the show.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

woo hoo!
I get the reflex cheers also : )

-the mole

thisismarcus said...

Kiefer's "clarification" to the common man that not all foreigners are terrorists should be an extra too!

Anonymous said...

You've just reminded me I have to pick up Miracles. It's sad that I can claim to have seen all aired episodes and that's less than half of the box set. In Miracles' defense, I think the main reason it bombed was because the war in Iraq started about the same time and it kept getting pre-empted.

I think more shows out there need audience participation. All that's on my list is 24...and the Rocky Horror Picture Show if I could ever sit through it. I understand that one takes a lot of preparation. Dressing in drag is optional.

After you left, we had some night-time episodes of 24 and Kyle's TV was a little too dark. This made Curtis invisible in most scenes he was in until he stepped into the light and seemingly materialized. This was rather entertaining on a number of episodes, the best being the "prisoner exchange" episode and the "boat" episode (avoiding spoilers just in case).

- Bishop