Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Whoring Out Star Trek

Tonight I bought the new 2-DVD souped-up version of Star Trek: Insurrection. Inside, there was a small ad for Star Trek: The Experience in Las Vegas. It had this awful slogan:

"Beam up the showgirls, Scotty."

I'm not kidding you. That's what it said. Ordinarily, I'd ask whose job it was to approve such things, except that in this case I know exactly whose job it is to approve such things. So instead, I'll say, "come on, at least try to pretend like you care."

6 comments:

GiromiDe said...

Seriously, I find Decipher and Art Asylum to be the only two licensees who have produced quality Star Trek products, even if First Edition should have died after Mirror, Mirror. (No offense, Doctor, but, come on, it should have.)

And, no, I haven't played Armada, but I find the mere idea of a Star Trek battle game to be rather paradoxical and worthless.

TheGirard said...

i can't wait for the star trek mmorpg in 07. I need to get my own runabout.

GiromiDe said...

Okay, that might be the third Good Star Trek Thing.

Jason said...

Uh-huh, and you never wrote lore like that? :)

DrHeimlich said...

I've written plenty of bad lore in my time, but I'm hard-pressed to think of anything as bad as "beam up the showgirls, Scotty."

thisismarcus said...

Insurrection is a good Star Trek movie IMO - at least the first hour is. It always bugs me that many of the bigscreen adventures bore little resemblance to the TV show that spawned them, but this one feels very faithful to TNG. Go Frakes!