Monday, May 16, 2005

4:00am - 5:00am

For the second time in three weeks, 24 has managed to deliver (in my opinion) the best installment of the season. Good enough even to make up for the fact that, once again, some bastardly headline writer spoiled the return of Mandy in tonight's episode.

Tony and Michelle reconciled. Huzzah!!!! Of course, you knew the minute Buchanan agreed to let him go out in the field that it was going to go badly for him. It remains to be seen whether or not he'll survive the day. (Knowledge which, thankfully, has not been spoiled for me.)

Jack had his most emotional phone call since the best ever episode of 24, when he made his "Daddy's gotta go kill himself now for the greater good" call to Kim in season two. I really don't think I'll buy it if Audrey and Jack do end up getting back together after all this, but I still was swept up in the emotion behind his attempt to reach out to her.

Nice to see both Secretary Heller and his son return for a surprisingly effective character beat in the midst of the crisis. Again, Kim Raver shows that on those rare moments they do give something meaty to the character of Audrey, she will deliver.

Fun seeing Palmer act out his ruse with Logan for the benefit of the Speaker of the House. It was another moment where I was ahead of the writing, yet I completely enjoyed the moment anyway. 24 doesn't always have to surprise me to give me "the rush." I hope that really was the end of the "coup within the cabinet" plot thread, though, as I think that idea was quite thoroughly covered in season two.

Two hour finale next week! It'll be the last time for a while that I scream and cheer for the "graphic violence" advisory at the the top of the show. I can't wait!

6 comments:

thisismarcus said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
thisismarcus said...

With all the other femme fatales now pushing up daisies, I hope Mandy survives the finale and goes on to bigger and better things next season.

Weird how she's in all the publicity photos for Season 1, isn't it? Who says they made it up as they went along? He heh.

DrHeimlich said...

For that matter, Marwan escaped in this last hour. I know he's not all hot and often-naked like Mandy, but if they don't catch him in the next couple hours, he could be back to fight another day.

Of course, he's already executed like EVERY idea one person could possibly have to terrorize the country, all in 24 hours. I don't know what else he could come up with...

thisismarcus said...

s1: assassination
s2: nuke-ya-ler bombs
s3: deadly chemicals
s4: nuke-ya-ler warhead, computer hacking, take out the president, etc.

s5: a swarm of cougars attacks downtown L.A...

Anonymous said...

overall very good episode. but the last few minutes stretched my believability in the 24 universe. why would Mandy want a hostage to slow her down? and why would Tony think she would let the red-shirt live after she had already shot him once? to add dramatic tension of course! poor Tony. after "the speech" we all collectively labeled him as "toast". hope Mandy becomes the new Nina

-the mole

GiromiDe said...

Bah! They could have spent season/day three pursuing Mandy. For that matter, they could have spent season/day two pursuing Nina's employers. A vendetta-based season might be more worthwhile than Jack vs. The Terrorist Threat ad infinitum. I hope next year's minds use the show's narrative to fram an entirely different kind of season.