Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Save It For the Cadbury Bunny

With TV in reruns now, I've been watching DVDs a little more than usual lately. Let me tell you how much I hate, hate, HATE DVD Easter Eggs.

I pay good money for the DVDs I purchase. Often, special features tip the balance to make me pick up a title I would not otherwise have bought. I like extra stuff: commentaries, featurettes, and the like. And because I have already paid money to see them, I expect to be able to see them.

The studios making the DVDs have already gone to all the trouble and expense of putting together "feature X" to put on the DVD. Why the hell do they think it's a good idea to then hide it away where a large percentage of their customers won't even see it?

Am I supposed to enjoy wasting my time pushing arrow buttons in every direction from every point on every menu of the damn thing? Do the studios have some kind of stock in web sites like this one and are trying to drive people there? What the hell is wrong with these people?

Is there anyone out there who actually enjoys these things? Not the actual eggs themselves, I mean -- some of them are quite funny, if you can actually find them. I mean the searching. Does anyone actually enjoy it? If so, what the hell is wrong with those people?

Of course, my experience has been that most people who buy DVDs do it exclusively for the main content -- the movie or the TV show, that is. Seems like most people don't care about any of the special features at all. Which means probably that most people don't find this at all annoying like I do. Which, if true, makes this an entire conspiracy engineered to annoy me personally.

Mission accomplished.

5 comments:

GiromiDe said...

I don't understand DVD Easter Eggs either. The persons producing them are cut from the same cloth as programmers and card game artists who feel some weird need to bury content. (I still can't see "4077" on Timicin.)

I'm not surprised the Superbit format hasn't been more successful. As an alternative format that strips often-ignored "extras" and "bonus features" for optimal audio and video performance, it makes a lot of sense, but buyers just grab whatever they see first. Also, I don't think many are suckered into buying the re-release "improved" version of a DVD that happens to coincide with a sequel's release in the theatres.

TheGirard said...

I thought it was the animated menus that you can't skip forward through is what you hate.

;)

GiromiDe said...

You mean the premercials?

Yeah, those must die!

Anonymous said...

The premercials are clearly the worse as they are unavoidable. The Easter Eggs - hell I have no idea which of my DVDs have them and have no desire to go a'hunting. Life's too damn short.

DrHeimlich said...

Girard -- hate those too. But I have a lot of blog to fill with all my many complaints, so I'll probably save that discussion for another time. The "previews you can't skip" that the other guys mentioned are annoying too.