Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Obligatory Tuesday TV Talkback

This week was the first episode of Veronica Mars in a long while -- maybe ever -- that I haven't been totally enthusiastic about. I think it's that it felt a little too serious for me. I enjoy the wit and humor that the show usually mixes in with its continuing plot and sleuthing. This week was pretty heavy on the drama and almost devoid of the usual humor. Of course, the subject matter was honestly too serious to have been treated lightly. And we did get some pretty big resolution on a couple of season-long mysteries. Futhermore, I appreciate that the show was trying something a little different and not trying to follow the same "formula." I guess in the end, I'm not complaining. (A rare thing for this blog.) But I'm hoping to be more entertained by next week's season finale. (Ah... season finale. Not series finale. Again, how awesome is that?)

Meanwhile, a pretty lackluster installment of The Amazing Race. All the teams were back to their usual patterns. Rob and Amber were ridiculously and undeservingly lucky. Ron showed saint-like patience while Kelly grew still more irrational and unsympathetic. Uchenna and Joyce were wonderful to each other and played hard, but not enough to place first. Meredith and Gretchen showed their typical, strange brew of heart, bumbling idiocy, determination, and ineptitude -- and finally got eliminated for it. Basically, the same behavior as every episode but the last one. I'm really hoping next week's season finale is more a replay of last week than this week.

1 comment:

GiromiDe said...

I'd rather Meredith and Gretchen be in the race than Ron and Kelly, even if that means enduring Gretchen's hand-to-head "oh golly" bufuddlement for another two hours. At least she doesn't look like Meredith beat the crap out of her as she did the days following her failure in the cave. And, hey, there are far worse places in the world to finish last in than London.

I miss London.