Sunday, May 08, 2005

Confession

As long as I'm talking about movies, I should actually point out that I had a trifecta last week, beginning on Wednesday night when I saw The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. And I didn't especially like it. Or hate it. It was just sort of, "enh." And in that respect, I found it to be exactly like the book.

See, I've never particularly liked Hitchhiker's. I mean, I think there are some brilliant and hysterical moments in there. The paragraph about the horridness of Vogon poetry. Outstanding. The sentence about "hung in the air exactly the way bricks don't." Absolute genius. (Incidentally, as I don't have a copy of the book, I can't verify the exact text of that quote. The internet was no help, either. Check out this Google search. Every result on this first page lists the quote slightly differently! Though granted, some are ripping it off from Douglas Adams without acknowledging the source.)

Sadly though, I find that in between these all-too-brief moments of hilarity, I turned 9 or 10 pages without so much as cracking a smile. And the plot is rather meandering (because the original material was a serial radio show), and to me not very engaging. Which means that the book left me generally "enh."

Same goes for the movie. I thought it offered moments of hilarity, spaced by 5-10 minutes of boredom. The film was perfectly cast, and they were giving their all, but ultimately I found myself looking at my watch a lot.

Sorry. It's not a "British thing." I love The Office, Whose Line Is It Anyway?, (hmm... can I think of one America didn't steal and re-do?), Dave Gorman, Eddie Izzard, and plenty of others. I know some of you out there are huge fans of Hitchhiker's. I'm just not with you on that one.

1 comment:

thisismarcus said...

Don't worry - I'm loving it enough for the both of us. Thanks for da link, of course.

P.S. A trifecta? Lucky! I've been trying to have one of those for years...