Sunday, May 22, 2005

Why Don't You Get Things Started?

Friday was a good day to be a fan of the Muppets. The Muppets' version of The Wizard of Oz aired on TV, and it was announced that -- at long last -- complete season box sets of The Muppet Show will appear on DVD starting in August.

I will say that in the last decade or so, the Muppets material has been pretty sub-par. And their Oz was no exception. It had a few moments that made me smile, but overall was nothing wonderful. But as for these classic Muppet Show episodes that'll be lighting up my DVD player on August 9th? I can't wait! Best of all, season 1 includes what I believe to be the single best Muppet bit of all time: The Mahna Mahna Song.

6 comments:

Tom said...

Do do do doit.

GiromiDe said...

The Muppets haven't been the same since Jim Henson died, but they have had small fits of greatness. Pepe the Prawn is a great recent addition to the cast, okay.

Anonymous said...

You are such a child, Lorentz. Maybe that's all part of your personal charm.

DrHeimlich said...

While I won't deny I give my inner child a big toy chest to play with, I have to say, I don't think the Muppets -- classic Muppets, not the latest Disney-affiliated stuff -- are really meant for kids. :-)

Tom said...

I agree Evan. I think the old school muppets worked much like the good loony tunes stuff. It is goofy enough to entertain kids, but is really more written by adults to entertain themselves.

Anonymous said...

The best childrens' entertainment is written at two levels - one for the kids and another for their parents (we could argue about which is the higher level).

The early Muppets worked that way, early Loony Tunes, the Magic Roundabout.